Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a whole bunch of 1.5 " thick tree fern panels and am wondering if anyone has tried to split them down the center? Can it be done without breaking them? Tools at my disposal include a bandsaw,tablesaw, ...

·
Registered
205 Posts
It can depend upon the density of the actual panel, which varies greatly. Some are extremely tight and you can saw right through and I have had others start to crumble because the weave was loose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've done it on a bandsaw. You will want a fine tooth blade and hold it up off the table a little. Be careful not to let the blade catch, it will tear it apart. I used a bandsaw for metal cutting, so the blade moves pretty slow. When I let it run on the table, it was eating up the corners. Once I figured that out, it worked out great. Double the coverage!

·
Registered
139 Posts
ive never tried this but maybe try sandwhiching the panels between something else and clamp it together somehow? It should work as long as you find an effective way to push the supports together witht the fern panel in the middle

·
Registered
776 Posts
It can be done easily with a bandsaw if you have access to one. Just be patient and do not rush it through the blade and you should be fine. This was done with the 1.5 thick tree fern from Tropical Plant Products that should be the same as yours. I have had none tear or break. Tree fern is hardy stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts