Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently received one of these as a gift, and being that it's my first philo, I tried looking up some info online. But that just lead to me getting rather confused. It seems that there is some general mix up on the proper name of the plant (at least from my cursory search), and that, what I have can often be confused for Monstera delicosa (which seems to be a climbing vine), and the Lacy tree philodendron(p. selloum).

The plant I have has a leaf structure similer to the pictures I've seen of monstera, online, but it grows in offsets, like a non-climbing philo

Any ideas on what I might have, and the proper care for it?

·
Banned
503 Posts
I recently received one of these as a gift, and being that it's my first philo, I tried looking up some info online. But that just lead to me getting rather confused. It seems that there is some general mix up on the proper name of the plant (at least from my cursory search), and that, what I have can often be confused for Monstera delicosa (which seems to be a climbing vine), and the Lacy tree philodendron(p. selloum).

The plant I have has a leaf structure similer to the pictures I've seen of monstera, online, but it grows in offsets, like a non-climbing philo

Pictures would be appreciated!
-will

·
Registered
4,749 Posts

Hard to tell some juvie philos from mature, esp when grown in vivs as they grow differently depending on stage.

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to tell some juvie philos from mature, esp when grown in vivs as they grow differently depending on stage.
I think someone picked this up at a big box, and is about 3ft round, maybe 1-1 1/2 high.you can also see some younger growth at the bottom, which I though was some type of pothos that hitched a ride, but it was just immature growth

Sorry, can't do picks at the moment

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
well, unfortunately you have a plant from one of the most ambiguous groups which,as mentioned before, go through an number of VERY different stages of growth, all of which have widely varying leaf structures, colors, and textures. many become giants which bear absolutely no resemblance to their juvenile counterparts.

even among aroid researchers/ enthusiasts there has been, and continues to be, ongoing debates over many of these plants, and their true identities.

you do have a couple things on your side as far as getting an ID though.

it has to be relatively common which REALLY narrows the field.

there are some really knowledgeable people here on db that could probably tell you pretty quickly what it is. (or probably is)

try rareplantbroker, or harrywhitmore on the boards.

james

·
Banned
4,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, unfortunately you have a plant from one of the most ambiguous groups which,as mentioned before, go through an number of VERY different stages of growth, all of which have widely varying leaf structures, colors, and textures. many become giants which bear absolutely no resemblance to their juvenile counterparts.

even among aroid researchers/ enthusiasts there has been, and continues to be, ongoing debates over many of these plants, and their true identities.

you do have a couple things on your side as far as getting an ID though.

it has to be relatively common which REALLY narrows the field.

there are some really knowledgeable people here on db that could probably tell you pretty quickly what it is. (or probably is)

try rareplantbroker, or harrywhitmore on the boards.

james
Yeah, i figured someone here would be able to help identify it, and if nothing comes up here, I'll PM them

1 - 6 of 6 Posts