Dendroboard banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm not very handy. I'm going to eventually create a 10 gallon setup for some vampire crabs, and cherry shrimp--but I want it to be 1/2 land, 1/2 water. I've seen many different ways of establishing this; It sounds like my best bet would be to buy a 10 gallon, and go to like, Home Depot, and say "I need a piece of glass to be 'this tall' and wide enough to fully split this tank," silicone that up, and then get some driftwood to allow the crabs to crawl out. Any other ideas? Because foam based products sound like a bad idea with crabs/shrimp.

Also, I got some of those clay balls to help keep the substrate moist on the land end. Logically, the best thing to do would be to have some holes on the bottom so that some water would get in under there, so that the filter could filter ALL the water in the setup, but I worry about coir getting in the filter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
A few things to think about... the crabs will eat the shirmp. As long as you arent too attached to the shrimp, wont be an issue, I am sure the crabs will think they are delicious :)

Why would you put a piece of glass in to divide it if you plan on putting holes in to allow filtration of all of the water? If you build the one side up enough with Leca (those little clay balls), it shouldnt be soaking wet. Next, the crabs would actually prefer soaking wet, they like to burrow and hide in moist/wet areas.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just don't want the filter getting clogged with coir. I don't think giving these guys an aquatic, or partly-aquatic setup is possible without a filter--they really foul up the water.

For now, I'm keeping him terrestrial, with a moist area, and a largish water dish. It seems to work Ok--I might just keep him that way.

EDIT: Cherry shrimp getting eaten is fine.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have kept them in the past and basically had a swamp/bog tank for them with an area that had a small pond/puddle. They didnt seem to care about water quality, though I know in the wild, they are found near streams I think which are constantly running so they would have access to clean water. I think no matter what, in a 10g tank you will have a hard time filtering the water without getting debris from the substrate in it unless you are using an external filter of some sort simply because the tank is so small. You may want to PM ZBrinks as he has some and Im sure he could show you pics of his setups.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have kept them in the past and basically had a swamp/bog tank for them with an area that had a small pond/puddle. They didnt seem to care about water quality, though I know in the wild, they are found near streams I think which are constantly running so they would have access to clean water. I think no matter what, in a 10g tank you will have a hard time filtering the water without getting debris from the substrate in it unless you are using an external filter of some sort simply because the tank is so small. You may want to PM ZBrinks as he has some and Im sure he could show you pics of his setups.
I just can't deal with the smell of water that dirty. Smells like toilet water. Bleaaah.
But using a big water dish, and replacing the water seems way simpler than buying a new setup and bothering with all of that. The one I have right now is kind of ugly, so I'll just have to get a prettier one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually plan on re-doing it eventually(possibly this weekend) after talking with a guy w/Josh's Frogs--currently I don't have any pics. I don't know what species I have, wasn't sold under the Latin name. Also, I only have one crab currently.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My crabs mutilated and killed each other in a ten gallon. I have Geosesarma "vampire" or "orange eyed". Most of them ("vampire crabs") are undescribed.

In a split twenty long they are much happier, and don't bother a small colony of cherry shrimp. JVK

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My crabs mutilated and killed each other in a ten gallon. I have Geosesarma "vampire" or "orange eyed". Most of them ("vampire crabs") are undescribed.

In a split twenty long they are much happier, and don't bother a small colony of cherry shrimp. JVK
I only have one crab, and the shrimp would be food, not friends.:D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts