Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had any problems with frogs like thumbnails and spiny broms. I heard that sometimes the frogs get stuck on the spines and might rip their skin.

·
Registered
213 Posts
There was a topic recently here about spiny broms...

I think that its possible for frogs to hurt themselves with it but if its something that you can avoid putting in your viv, might as well do it to avoid unforeseeable events...

funny that I say this though, I'm planning on putting a spiny leafed morgana in the tank. I think I've seen it in some vivs before, just don't remember where...

bluetip

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
All of the broms I put in my vivs are spiny. I have never had any problems. If you look at the broms they use in the wild- most are spiny. Makes sense to me because it is extra protection.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it would be ok, I mean the frogs aren't stupid :wink: . They know how to get in and out without getting hurt. I just had a guy tell me once that his frog jumped and missed his target and the spines tore it's skin a little. Probably a rare occurance.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Have you ever watched a lemur hop between Cacti (or some other REALLY spiny plant). It is a type of plant that none of us would even dream of touching. But, the lemurs can hop from 10 feet away, and grasp it without even a scratch. I am sure most of the broms in south and central america have some type of spines. The frogs are definitely not stupid, and are probably very well adapted to these types. I would not worry too much about it. Just my thoughts,

Ed

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I think the danger of spiny broms is an urban legend. Everyone has "heard" of a frog being impaled but I have yet to hear a first hand account of this happening. Thousands of frogs calling spiny broms sanctuary in the wild can't be wrong.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I know they may have spikes in the wild, but this is a very small environment and have your frogs ever hopped rapidly away when you stick your hand in the tank to check for eggs?

On the other hand, some of my broms have spikes and I have yet to see a frog scratched.

Spikes may be a way to clean up the gene pool however...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts