Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:? Do any experienced breeders have suggestions on how to prevent spindly leg syndrome?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Have found that there are quite a few factors that contribute to sls.Water temp for tads mid 70's , crude protien in tad food , I along with others use Sera plankton tabs 50.5% crude protien . Try to use a food that is good quality. Water quality , how is the water in your area? do you use bottled water ? Here we are very lucky our tap water is some of the best in the country. How long have the parents been laying and for how long without a break. I find that when I do the following I have a very small amount of sls . First have breeders that are fat & healthy , give lots of vitamins . once you have eggs keep them clean , hydrated , once they are tads , feed them once a day . keep the water in the mid 70's and keep water fairly clean sometimes change twice a week .!! I might ever get 2 out of 100 morphed w/ sls . Some think that you have to add all kinds of stuff ot your tad food like nettles ,ect but I have found that it's not just in the food it can start with problems long before .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

sometimes we can read that "SLS is due to a deficiency in iodine in diet and water" (M.Stanizeswki 2001)

So i add a little of kelp powder in my tadpole food... sometimes I add a little of vitamins powder too...

I don't know if it is really effective but I have no problem with sls for the moment

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
SLS is a syndrome and not just one disease. Crippled or spindly front legs can be caused by a number of different things. The syndrome can be from tadpole husbandry, parental husbandry, and or genetics. I've found that most times if you pay a little more attention to the frogs laying the eggs the syndrome goes away. Be sure the adults are well fed and get vitamins and calciums. I don't think I'd rely on Mark Stanisweski for dart frog info. When he was at IAD a couple years ago he seemed to be playing catch up on dart frog info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts