Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I would like to know your comments on the spiked leaves bromeliads. I have one that I would like to put in my viv. but the leaves all have little spikes, very similar to cryptantus.

Can this be dangerous for the frogs?

Any bad experiences related to those kinds of broms??

Thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
986 Posts
I've used Cryptanthus and Neoregelia ampullacea with no problems, and both have some small spines. What species are you planning on using? I'm sure others have had experiences using other types of spiny broms, but these are the only two I have.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I haven't had problems with my smaller frogs like the mantellas and baby tree frogs, but my large White's TF has scarped himself on the large bromeliad I keep in his cage. That one doesn't even have any obvious spikes on its leaves but he gets scraped anyways and then I have treat him.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
spiny leaves

Hello.

I keep cryptanthus's in all of my enclosures and have done so for about four years now and never had any problems. I have also used my cultivars of neoregelia ampullacea that include large spined varieties and also never had any problems. Maybe I'm just lucky? Then again, I have seen photos from where these frogs occur naturally and can say that the broms they utilize are usually very spiny.

Justin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies,

I have two variety of Cryptanthus and a Neoregelia with some similar spiked leaves in my vivarium.

Hearing from your past experiences, I think everything should be fine then. :)

Thanks,

Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts