Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
I think they eventually get pretty big. My cat loves spider plants even more than she loves orchids. So, she gets her own spider plant in exchange for leaving my orchids alone. She's extorting me, lol. Anyway, I thought about putting one of the spider plant babies in a tank. I still might, but, they do eventually get big.

I don't know if they are harmful to frogs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think they eventually get pretty big. My cat loves spider plants even more than she loves orchids. So, she gets her own spider plant in exchange for leaving my orchids alone. She's extorting me, lol. Anyway, I thought about putting one of the spider plant babies in a tank. I still might, but, they do eventually get big.

I don't know if they are harmful to frogs.
I think i might try planting one in there cage, but i just want to be 100% sure that it is safe! Thanks for the help. Yah they grow fast so that could be a negative, lol, but maybe it's worth a try!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I just put one in a new 40g V I built at the beginning of the year. I put in a clipping towards the top of the tank with the thought that the offshoots cascading down will look quite nice. It is doing very well and has probably doubled in size in the last 4 months. It is much bigger then a pup that was the same size that is still on the plant.

·
Registered
393 Posts
It gets huge after a while. I put one in my viv as a small 3-4 inch plant, and a year later it now has roots throughout the entire 29g footprint, and has to have it's leaves cut in half to keep it from filling the viv. It is probably only a plant I would put in a viv with at least 36" height and a good 2 cubic feet of space devoted solely to it. Nice plant, but it is just too much for a 29. I will probably rip it out when I find a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
It gets huge after a while. I put one in my viv as a small 3-4 inch plant, and a year later it now has roots throughout the entire 29g footprint, and has to have it's leaves cut in half to keep it from filling the viv. It is probably only a plant I would put in a viv with at least 36" height and a good 2 cubic feet of space devoted solely to it. Nice plant, but it is just too much for a 29. I will probably rip it out when I find a suitable replacement.
I would love to see a picture of that. Would you mind showing us?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I would love to see a picture of that. Would you mind showing us?
It's nothing special to look at right now. About 2 weeks ago I trimmed off most of the leaves so I could get in the viv easier, and the rest of the leaves I trimmed so they wouldn't bend on the top of the viv. It looks like half a dozen green sticks in the dirt right now :p I almost pulled it completely out when I trimmed, but decided against it...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Actually there are over 20 species and varieties of Spider plants, and some of them don't get nearly that big. They can be hard to find in your local garden store's plant section, but they are around.

Chlorophytum comosum and it's cultivars are the most common, but I've played with Chlorophytum bichetii in the past and had some great luck with it. It and it's cultivars are smaller (6-12 inches), leaves are a bit broader and stronger (made my metatmoprh treefrogs VERY happy!), and they don't do the crazy amount of babies on stolons. MUCH easier to keep under control than C. comosum!

As for toxicity in plants, there are general two issues - issues with contact, and issues with ingestion. I've used plants that are considered toxic in one or both ways in frog tanks with no issues to the frogs. They aren't vegetarians, and even those nasty little hairs on Dieffenbachia and some Philodendrons don't bug them! Even plants with toxic sap are really only an issue if you keep pulling and cutting leaves/stems on them, and especially if you rub the frogs on them after.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This thing was almost dead when I got it. Not sure how, because it's hardy as hell. In a viv with a light it would just be insane. Plant Houseplant Grass family Flower Chives

I've given a million babies away, have a few more around the house, and it's throwing out another shoot up top for more babies.

Pure insanity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts