Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on this girl? I took a field trip last weekend and got some good herp pics but this big girl (I think) was by far the most interesting.

Ed

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Yeah, they are a very large spider... but don't really leave their web (from what I know) so not very threatening. This also allows you to get very close to take pics. I have some pics of these or another similar species myself, but from NC. Great picture by the way.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Scare me :shock: MAn i hate spiders. I will hurt myself getting away from them. Especially when they look like that. LOL

TonyT

·
Registered
210 Posts
I know a guy, a spider hobbyist, who has a free-roaming pet Argiope just like the one in your pic. It built a web in the corner of his computer room and just never leaves the web. Aside from the occasional house fly that flies into the web, he tosses an occasional cricket here and there into the web. Pretty interesting stuff.

Bry

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The body of the spider was 2" -3" , it was set up on the edge of a small pool in a soybean field that had thousands of Bufo americanus tads in it and many adults around it. There were 2 smaller spiders in their own webs at other spots near this pool. It had a pretty good setup and I'm sure will have some of the toadlets when they morph out.

I like spiders in my frog room, they take care of the fruit fly escapees but this girl was too darn big!

Ed

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
TonyT said:
Scare me :shock: MAn i hate spiders. I will hurt myself getting away from them. Especially when they look like that. LOL

TonyT
I know how you feel, i was walking through the swamp, nearly smacked my face into a huge banana spider several times, cant even see their web. They just seem to float there. Biggest spiders ive seen.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Your kidding right?

Bry said:
I know a guy, a spider hobbyist, who has a free-roaming pet Argiope just like the one in your pic. It built a web in the corner of his computer room and just never leaves the web. Aside from the occasional house fly that flies into the web, he tosses an occasional cricket here and there into the web. Pretty interesting stuff.

Bry

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I know of another insect hobbyist that has some free roaming spiders. It really isn't anything to fear, especially since the type of sider pictured here (as well as the one the insect hobbyist I know has) doesn't really leave their webs. Plus their venom isn't anything to worry about, speaking of the Argiope.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts