Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here good with spider ID's at all? I found this guy crawling around my office today (not in a viv!), figured it's some sort of wolf spider. He's small, a little smaller than a quarter I'd say.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Based on body shape I'd guess wolf spider. It doesn't look like other common venomous spiders I know.

I don't kill wolf spiders in my home. I leave them to keep any potentially harmful ones out---but I put thyme and rosemary oil spray around my tank bases to keep spiders and argentina (sugar) ants away.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yes, I would say that's definatly some type of wolf spider.
Nice shots! ;)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Burn down your office, it is the only way to stop them!
Haha if only! Then I'd have more vacation :)

Based on body shape I'd guess wolf spider. It doesn't look like other common venomous spiders I know.

I don't kill wolf spiders in my home. I leave them to keep any potentially harmful ones out---but I put thyme and rosemary oil spray around my tank bases to keep spiders and argentina (sugar) ants away.
That's a good idea, I had no idea that that would work. I have seen some ants crawling around my place this spring, and one made it's way into the viv before I killed it. It's been 3 days after I bought ant traps and I haven't seen another yet!

We don't have too many dangerous spiders to worry about in my neck of the woods, so I try not to kill any. I have noticed a jumping spider recently has been hanging around my fruit fly cultures.

Yes, I would say that's definatly some type of wolf spider.
Nice shots! ;)
Thanks! I'd like to get a better shot of it's face, but I couldn't get it to sit still for long!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
We love the jumping spiders in my house. My toddler is seen picking them up so they can hop up his arms. They do not try to bite, either.

We have a couple of baby jumping spiders that are playing 'tag team' at the windowsill where argentine ants have been entering. They are out of luck b/c the ants have stopped coming in for now, plus we had to spray Eco IC² outdoors b/c of some acrobat ants coming inside. :(

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We love the jumping spiders in my house. My toddler is seen picking them up so they can hop up his arms. They do not try to bite, either.
Cool! Hopefully he stays fearless, spiders are cool and they sure help keep the bug population down! :)

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

We have a couple of baby jumping spiders that are playing 'tag team' at the windowsill where argentine ants have been entering. They are out of luck b/c the ants have stopped coming in for now, plus we had to spray Eco IC² outdoors b/c of some acrobat ants coming inside. :(

I can tell you from personal experience that the larger jumping spiders can bite quite well....

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience that the larger jumping spiders can bite quite well....
haha, did you squeeze or pick up the spider, or did you trick it into climbing onto you?
The ones we find inside are under a pencil-eraser size.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yikes, I have never liked spiders but always thought those guys were neat and for some reason didnt mind them.. scratch that!
Nahhh they're still neat! Just cuz then can bite you, doesn't mean they will :D

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
haha, did you squeeze or pick up the spider, or did you trick it into climbing onto you?
The ones we find inside are under a pencil-eraser size.
I tricked it into walking on me.. It got panicked when I went to shoo it off and tagged me..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Definately a wolf spider. When I lived in the Amazon Rainforest I often saw wolf spiders (6" in length) chowing down on tree frogs...a horrid sight!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts