Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
mbrutger said:
does anyone know where to find some live sphagnum moss for sale?
I don't know where you can find alive stuff, but you can wet down the dried stuff and put it under lights and it will green up. I have a picture of some of mine. I will try and find it..

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I have some that is alive, it is kept wet, and it is under two shoplight fixtures, it looks like pillow moss, except it is sphagnum.

G

·
0 Posts
sphagnum

its fairly easy to rejuvinate brown sphagnum moss but sphagnum likes it really wet. as wet as java. it also needs high light i.e. on a windowsill with direct sunlight.............. or at least the scottish type does anyway, it can survive in tropical vivs though it looks really cool in the peat bogs up here where theres whole islands of sphagnum moss.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I can pick the stuff till I puke(or until the mosquitos carry me away!) at my mom and dad's house in northern wisconisin. Maybee you just need to look around in the local bogs.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There use to be a place called Mosser Lee up in Wisconson somewhere that will sell and ship live sphagnum moss. I haven't order any in probably 15 years or so, but its a place to start looking.

Best,

Chuck

G

·
0 Posts
Here is the picture...

The main thing is make sure you start with high quality long fiber sphagnum. is the best then, Chile, and then Wisconson.
I had a very hard time getting the Wisconson moss to green up.
The moss in the picture is New Zealand moss.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yes, there is a species of Sphagnum which grows here in the northwest...[among many other temperate areas of the world] specifically, Sphagnum squarrosum...

i'm actually looking for some for my vivs. may hit up Molbeck's this weekend. [those of you in the greater Seattle area are more than likely familiar with Molbeck's out in Woodinville.. i love that place.]

anyone had experience with this species in a viv?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts