Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'm not sure if it is necessary to but I don't think they'd die without it. Just make sure they're secure, the moss allows for easier rooting of the plants.

·
Registered
986 Posts
You have to be very careful about Tillandsias, IME, as they tend to rot easily. Anything that holds water near them is a bad idea. I just sit mine on top of driftwood near the top of the terrarium. Many T's won't do well in terraria because there is not enough air movement.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hmmm...glad I read this..I set-up 4 tillandsias this morning by just setting them on the surface of a sphagnum substrate. Perhaps I should set them up with "suction cups" attached to the terrarium wall. Or find some driftwood soon!

You have to be very careful about Tillandsias, IME, as they tend to rot easily. Anything that holds water near them is a bad idea. I just sit mine on top of driftwood near the top of the terrarium. Many T's won't do well in terraria because there is not enough air movement.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
^^^ Def keep the tillandsias off the ground...

We have 'em in 3 separate vivariums. One with fans - the other two DON'T have fans OR much ventilation... I haven't had one rot yet. They've been in the older vivs for 7-8 months or so with no issues. :confused: (mexican, peanut, ionantha ionantha are the oldest ones)

Some tillandsias are more prone to rotting out than others from what we understand. :)

Ours are all mounted on the backgrounds or on mopani... All using nothing but hot glue. None have sphagnum around them... A few have spanish moss in close proximity - but that's mainly because the spanish moss found the little tilly and grabbed on for life. :rolleyes:

So in other words - no - I wouldn't wrap 'em in sphagnum. They enjoy drying out a bit between mistings.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I had bad luck with putting sphagnom around my broms.
3 of them rotted away with the moss around them, since I removed the moss everywhere the broms have been exploding with roots and doing much better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts