E. tricolor
E. trivittatus

Phyllobates
P. aurotaenia
P. bicolor
P. lugubris *
P. terribilis
P. vittatus

* These species or some morphs of these species are very uncommon. Either they are not in the hobby at all or uncommon due to the lack of self sustaining breeding populations.

** With only a few exceptions ("intermediate" morphs of D. pumilio) the D. histrionicus species group, more commonly known in the hobby as "Eggfeeders",have not become strongly established in the US hobby and remain extremely uncommon. Due to their complex care and breeding, self sustaining populations have not been reached for most species and their position in the hobby is tentative.

References:
List created from:
Doyles Dart Den
Poison-Frogs.com

Contributers:
Kyle Kopp (kyle1745)
(Catfur)
Corey Wickliffe (KeroKero)

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let myself or a moderator know.

Last updated 7/16/2006

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Missing Species:

D. sylvaticus - Extremely Rare

Missing Genera:

Allobates

A. femoralis - Extremely Rare
A. zaparo - Rare

Missing Info:

D. arboreus - Extremely Rare
D. speciosus - extremely rare
M. fulguritus - extremely rare
M. minutus - extremely rare

Differing Opinions:
P. aurotaenia - common (morph dependent)
P. terribilis - common (morph dependent)
Minyobates is not currently a valid genus. All former Minyobates are now in Dendrobates, in the D. minutus species group.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok...
Missing Species:

D. sylvaticus - Extremely Rare

Missing Genera:

Allobates

A. femoralis - Extremely Rare
A. zaparo - Rare
Do people actually have these in the hobby? Not just Zoos...
Missing Info:
D. arboreus - Extremely Rare
D. speciosus - extremely rare
M. fulguritus - extremely rare
M. minutus - extremely rare
Not sure I completely understand here.. I agree with the first part but the Minyobates... So are they all just morphs of D. minutus?
Differing Opinions:
P. aurotaenia - common (morph dependent)
P. terribilis - common (morph dependent)
Minyobates is not currently a valid genus. All former Minyobates are now in Dendrobates, in the D. minutus species group.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Hey Kyle,
Fulguritus, Arboreus, and Speciosus are all in the U.S. side of the hobby for sure. A few more changes to make-

D. Lehmanni (it says Lehmann)

Quinquevittatus change to: rare-extremely rare?

Silverstonei change to extremely rare, maybe same with bassleri-hahneli?

Crytophyllobates Azureiventris extremely rare?

Let me know what you think, these are all just ideas...

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Minyobates doesn't exist, they are all Dendrobates, D. minuts species group. (whoops - sorry, didn't realize catfur said this already)

Take out the E. azureventris... thats a synonym of Crypt. azureventris.

I don't like the use of "rare" and "extremely rare" - I think this gives the wrong impression. Many people go for rare frogs because they are just that, rare, and I don't think we should be encouraging that, not to mention with this list it gives the importance of rarity over the more important information in the caresheet. Why should people know the relative abundence of the frog (especially without a reason why) before they know they more important difficulty level? If included at all, it should be in the caresheets, not next to the name on the species list.

We also need to explain WHY - some of these frogs may never get caresheets, primarily due to "rarity". Why are these frogs uncommon? Lehmanni, Histrionicus, Advanced Pumilio morphs, Grannies, and the other egg feeders are very uncommon in the hobby due to a very small breeding population - even to the point where these animals do not have a self-sustaining population. Bassleri and Silverstonei never really established breeding populations in the US even after they were brought over... CB trivs are very rare too, the population of them is not self-sustaining right now either.

Contrast this with very uncommon, but new to the hobby... Like the "minyobates" species, zaparo to a degree, that type thing.

And then you've got the very uncommon due to a popularity dive... femoralis, azureventris, hahneli/pictus, truncatus, and tricolor/anthonyi have all suffered from this.

Why are we listing a bunch of species that aren't in the US hobby? (All but 1 or 2 of the minys and a few of the Epis, the rest don't need to be there)

I also disagree with a number of classifications... but it might also be my interpretation of the status. As I see it... all the phyllobates are common (morph dependent) except lugubris, which is uncommon. The only minys in the hobby are extremely uncommon (new). Epi wise... anthonyi (uncommon/swing in popularity), bassleri (extremely uncommon/lack of breeding), cains (extremely uncommon/new), hahneli (extremely uncommon/swing in popularity), silverstonei (extremely uncommon/lack of breeding), tricolor (uncommon/swing in popularity), and trivs (uncommon/lack of breeding) are what are currently in the US hobby... with this list set to chance with a number of Epis possibly coming in from Peru. With the range in pumilio, maybe we should list them common to extremely uncommon due to morph, rather than leaving it at morph dependent (since the greater mount of morphs are not common). I don't know if true biolat are here, or even in europe, and I don't know if we should be listing mysteriosus at all... saying they are extremely rare is admitting some are over here and due to their legality we should probibly pretend they aren't here to not mess with the legality issue.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So do all of these just get added under dendrobates?

Minyobates
M. abditus - unknown
M. altobueyensis - unknown
M. bombetes - unknown
M. fulguritus - unknown
M. minutus - unknown
M. opisthomelas - unknown
M. steyermarki - unknown
M. viridis - unknown
M. virolinesis - unknown

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Can someone with privileges please repost the currently posted article to this thread? It has the font and links fixed, but I can't edit it since it isn't posted here.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allobates
A. femoralis *
A. zaparo

Cryptophyllobates
C. azureiventris *

Dendrobates
D. abditus *
D. altobueyensis *
D. arboreus *
D. auratus
D. azureus
D. biolat *
D. bombetes *
D. captivus *
D. castaneoticus
D. fantasticus
D. fulguritus *
D. galactonotus
D. granuliferus **
D. histrionicus **
D. imitator
D. lamasi
D. lehmanni **
D. leucomelas
D. minutus *
D. mysteriosus *
D. occultator *
D. opisthomelas *
D. pumilio **
D. quinquevittatus *
D. reticulatus
D. sirensis *
D. speciosus *
D. steyermarki *
D. sylvaticus *
D. tinctorius
D. truncatus
D. vanzolinii *
D. variabilis
D. ventrimaculatus
D. viridis *
D. virolinesis *
D. vincentei *

Epipedobates
E. andinus *
E. anthony
E. bassleri
E. bilinguis *
E. bolivianus *
E. boulengeri *
E. cainarachi *
E. erythromos *
E. espinosai *
E. flavopictus *
E. hahneli
E. ingeri *
E. macero *
E. maculatus *
E. myersi *
E. parvulus *
E. petersi *
E. pictus *
E. pulchripectus *
E. rufulus *
E. silverstonei *
E. simulans *
E. smaragdinus *
E. tricolor
E. trivittatus

Phyllobates
P. aurotaenia
P. bicolor
P. lugubris *
P. terribilis
P. vittatus

* These species or some morphs of these species are very uncommon. Either they are not in the hobby at all or uncommon due to the lack of self sustaining breeding populations.

** With only a few exceptions ("intermediate" morphs of D. pumilio) the D. histrionicus species group, more commonly known in the hobby as "Eggfeeders",have not become strongly established in the US hobby and remain extremely uncommon. Due to their complex care and breeding, self sustaining populations have not been reached for most species and their position in the hobby is tentative.

References:
List created from:
Doyles Dart Den
Poison-Frogs.com

Contributers:
Kyle Kopp (kyle1745)
(Catfur)
Corey Wickliffe (KeroKero)

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let myself or a moderator know.

Last updated 12/31/2006

1 - 11 of 11 Posts