Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i got this stuff tonight and i tried to make it into a consistency of what ive been reading up on but this stuff just wont do it!:confused:
So i started reading the forums again and i see some that are saying this stuff doesnt work and some that are saying that it does work. And the majority saying to just buy the dr. elseys blue bag one. Could anyone tell me how or if even possible how to mix this stuff so it will have clay consistency?
Right now im just so frustrated hah. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Chris

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hey, I tried that walmart stuff and it didn't work for me. I remember reading awhile back ago that to keep the price so low that the ingredients sometimes change making the bags somewhat not consistent. I tried twice no luck. What I did end up using though and has worked for years is the petco clay litter. They have a section there where you can fill up your own bucket.
It does have bakingsoda added to it, however I've never had a problem with it and ones it's mixed up with the soil etc, the plants seem to love it.

I just take the bucket of litter fill it with water while hand mixing and fill it to where there is about 2" of water sitting on top and wait a few hours. After about 2hrs the top portion will just have the consistency of soft mud.
You may need to add more water towards the bottom or once you start feeling the granules that have yet to absorb enough water.

I hated that frustration when the walmart brand didnt do it for me.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright awesome. Thanks for the reply and info. im going to see if i can blend this stuff up in an old blender we dont use anymore to see if it will work. So how much does it cost for you to fill your bucket up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I honestly can't remember, they have the empty buckets there and they charge you for it and the litter. But once you have it the next time you only pay for the refill. I want to say like maybe 17 bucks. It's worth it, because I did 6 18x18 cubes with it.
You can always call and ask them. The excitement I had when the petco stuff worked after a couple of hours after trying that stupid walmart stuff for a week was awesome.
Good luck!

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
You don't need to break up the particals, you just need it to stick to the glass.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very bad cow.... YOUR A DAMN HERO IN MY EYES!!!! I LOVE YOU HAHAHA!
I have to say you helped me out on that new kitty litter! just wanted to let you know and thank you for the advice once again. Ill be posting up pictures when im done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
King snake are you serious? ha i was on the verge of breaking things in my house last night hahaha. How did you mix it? the stuff just doesnt break down!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
King snake are you serious? ha i was on the verge of breaking things in my house last night hahaha. How did you mix it? the stuff just doesnt break down!
Went through 3 bags myself with no luck. The clay was obviously fired. I put it in a bucket of water for 3 weeks and it never softened...at all. As was mentioned, I suspect the material changes depending on where the company buys it. I also suspect that some just use the fired clay as is. There is enough dust in the back to make it cohesive. It would stay on the wall...for a little while.

Don't throw it out though. I used it under my ABG and it seems to make a hospitable microfauna refugium.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya same here boondoggle it is obviously fired. But when i used the new stuff cow refered me to with in seconds i could tell it was going to work! Now im just waiting for it to dry a bit. By any chance do you know if home depot has egg crate for sure?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I think there should be a warning on special kitty that reads: sucks for bgs. I let mine soak for days at about 90 degrees...didnt do a durn thing. I used the dr. elsleys and it mixes much better, but cracking is most definitely an issue. Hope the petco stuff works for you. If you need to find a use for the rest of the special kitty, it is great for soaking up spilled oil if you change yours yourself. To sum up: special kitty sucks...except for picking up oilspills and maybe for cats to crap in.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Kitty litter is made of the absolute cheapest stuff they can get a hold of that day. After all, it's made for cats to do their business in. This is why one brand works one day, but the next bag does not.
Kitty litter is Sodium Bentonite and Sodium Bentonite expands and contracts more than any other clay. It's damaging expansive traits can destroy homes, cracking thick concrete basement walls like an eggshell. It is responsible for millions, possibly billions of dollars in damage just in the Denver area alone. What does this mean in a viv? Cracking walls, expansion and contraction leading to separation from the glass, loss of wall integrity, and eventual collapse. Now keep in mind that kitty litter is the absolute cheapest sodium bentonite that can be found. I would never recommend using kitty litter to anyone.
A much better clay wall recipe would be 75% Redart and 25% Bentonite (either sodium or calcium bentonite). Now keep in mind we are talking about powdered pottery clay, not kitty litter. Into this mixture you can put a small amount of organics like peat, sphagnum, or coco fiber.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts