Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started constructing an 18x18x24 Exo Terra for a 2.1 trio of Southern Variabilis that I will be getting in about 2 weeks. This will be a build log on how I did what I did. This build is heavily inspired by the Twisted Root build (although I did not have a twisted root), but in reality I have gotten tips from many other thread on this forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IMG_1191.jpeg

This will be my second build, but my first real "display" tank.

1. I siliconed the back glass. The silicone gives it a clean look, covers up the yellow GS foam, and the great stuff also adheres better to the silicone rather than glass.
2. I made a false bottom out of egg crate, and wrapped 2 layers of window screen around the sides, and 1 on the top. I also used 5 PVC cuttings for support on the bottom of the egg crate. I plan on putting black aquarium substrate with a little green and black mixed in to match the coloring of the frogs.
3. I got the driftwood from Lake Michigan, it was a great find, since this is not even 1/10 of the stump. I siliconed the driftwood to the background.

Next up, foaming:eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
(hopefully this one works)

Some things that I neglected to mention in the previous post:
1. I used zip ties and dabs of silicone to put the window screen on the egg crate.
2. I put egg crate on the initial layer of silicone to give the great stuff even more to adhere to.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Hopefully this works. I really like the driftwood, does anyone know what kind it is? I found it on the shores of lake michigan (lighter than Malaysian but still somewhat heavy).

Thanks for looking,
Kyle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next I GS'd the background, I put way too much on (I tried to get every drop out of the can:rolleyes:).
Lesson Learned: Only put a 1-2 inch layer of GS, not a 4 inch layer.
The carving also took a long time and this picture does not reflect the amount of time I actually put into carving:D

I have Neherp background mix blended with a little sphagnum moss that I will be applying to the background with silicone.

If you have any questions on how I did something, please ask.
Kyle

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Josh!

If anyone has a guess on the type of driftwood, it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like a great start can't wait to see how it turns out.

As far as the driftwood, maybe a close up would help with an ID. That is a pretty good size piece, how did you treat it to clean and get rid of bugs? I would love to do something like that, but uninvited guests make me nervous.

J

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts