Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from another group - These guys were handpicked for an extreme amount of yellow, and represent the "Yellow Side" varient really well.....These guys will literally eat out of your hand after a few days in captivity.....

·
Registered
211 Posts
My thoughts are that I would probably recommend leaving the classification of sub-species up to the professional taxonomists. Unless you have some DNA evidence or collected them yourself I would not be trying to split up a species. If people want to breed what they think are specific locale tincts that is fine. But please keep in mind until they are officially designated as sub-species they are just Dendrobates tinctorius period. Again as long as people in the hobby realize that no Conservation Organizations are going to be knocking on the door of their Arks anytime soon asking for frogs for reintroduction programs. This is just my humble opinion and it is not in an effort to upset anyone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice pics, but they look much the same as all the standard stock of 'dyeing frogs' at my local fish & reptile store in south west England. here is one we bought saturday...even with the patch of yellow on one leg.....I did pick the one with the black strip down its head as it was different from the others in the tank, which just had plain yellow heads.

Even if these came from a different bit of forest there aren't enough differences to give one group a new name.

I dont think you can use intensity / amounts of colours, or the fact a random pattern of black and yellow misses the head out, to try and create named sub species from what are basically just the normal frog from the wild, for all we know the colours may be vibrant at the moment due to their wild diet, and could potentially fade in long term captivity. Unnecessary naming just feels like someone is trying to create 'brands' for marketing and money making purposes.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Marcus your's look like Patricia with the light blue legs, these Cobalt imports are very impressive, really large and high yellow to say the least. These came in at least once in the 90's and the same thing was said then, high yellow Cobalts. There are enough pairs to provide a nice amount of genetic diversity and I would certainly keep these seperate from other Cobalt's as there are several distinct Cobalt populations.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nice pics, but they look much the same as all the standard stock of 'dyeing frogs' at my local fish & reptile store in south west England. here is one we bought saturday...even with the patch of yellow on one leg.....I did pick the one with the black strip down its head as it was different from the others in the tank, which just had plain yellow heads.

Even if these came from a different bit of forest there aren't enough differences to give one group a new name.

I dont think you can use intensity / amounts of colours, or the fact a random pattern of black and yellow misses the head out, to try and create named sub species from what are basically just the normal frog from the wild, for all we know the colours may be vibrant at the moment due to their wild diet, and could potentially fade in long term captivity. Unnecessary naming just feels like someone is trying to create 'brands' for marketing and money making purposes.
The two look nothing alike.......Being from a "Different bit of Forest" is what seperates the many types of Tinctorious, and what leads to the differences between the populations.......

Besides - Who said anything about sub-species? They are Dendrobates Tinctorious - "Southern Surinam Cobalts - Yellow side"......That naming is necessary for generations down the road, so "types" aren't mixed........

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
These guys will literally eat out of your hand after a few days in captivity.....

do you find this out by accident or do you do it regularly?

i will be getting a pair in the next day or so and just wondering what to expect?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts