Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...other than the local nursery or Home Depot? Some time ago I remember a post listing a company in the northern states selling bulk long fiber spaghnum at reasonable prices. At the inflated prices I pay locally, I'd bet shipping costs wouldn't be prohibitive. Anyone got info?
Regards,
Scott

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
The sphagnum at HD isn't alive right? It's just for decoration...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's it! Mosser Lee.
Suprisingly, I did a search with spaghnum long fiber mosswhich did not come up with Mosser. Perhaps if I could spell... :roll:
Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Moss

I prefer to use Chilean or New Zealand LF moss. The moss isn't cheap, but if you buy the higher quality moss, you don't have as much dirt etc. in it.

If you want the better stuff try Calwest Orchid Supply, http://www.calwesttropical.com/ or OFE International, http://www.ofe-intl.com/.

Either way, you will be happy. If you are looking to safe money, go with OFE's largest quantity of premium Chilean spaghum. If you are looking for quality, go with Calwest's New Zealand. You will be very happy!

Melis

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
In the spring I have a live source that grows on a lake close to the house.....i will be offering this green with no dirt very alive. I can send pics of how it grow in the Terriums if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Maybee someday when I have some "extra" money to throw around I'll try the "premium" moss for ten bucks a pound...right now I have a hard time seeing how much better this stuff could be than the (free) stuff I can pick for free at Mom and Dads house.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Premium moss

Brian,

This is the moss that is commonly referred to as orchid moss. This is also the same moss that Lowes sells for $4.00 a for 150 grams in their garden center.

We use this moss as a substrate when we ship frogs and in the bottom of containers when we take animals to a show. We also use it as a substrate (over geolite pellets) in our terrariums. Under the correct lighting the moss begins to grow and you get a nice green mat of spaghum.

I have used the moss farmed in North America (WI I think) and have not been happy with. The loss rate of frogs/froglets was higher as well as the time necessary to clean it. We found that paying $20 per pound saves me $200 in losses of animals it really isn't that expensive?

Hope you don't think I am sounding argumentive, but I will be happy to send you a sample of the moss if you would like. Right now I only have the Chilean moss, but it is still a high quality moss. If you would like a sample, please PM me.

Thanks,

Melis

·
Registered
475 Posts
Under the correct lighting the moss begins to grow and you get a nice green mat of spaghum.
What I heard is that this is actually algae growing on the moss, not the moss itself.... since they did not grow length wise...

Also it seems like the moss was bleached, hence the color, which if it is true... it ain't growing no more. :)

SB

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
Yes and no. There are some causes where algae does grow on the spaghum, but the moss itself will grow too. I can post some pictures of both instances if anyone is interested.

The moss is not bleached (except maybe naturally by the sun) but is a dried product. Since it is can sometimes begin to grow again inside our tanks.

Melis

steelcube said:
Under the correct lighting the moss begins to grow and you get a nice green mat of spaghum.
What I heard is that this is actually algae growing on the moss, not the moss itself.... since they did not grow length wise...

Also it seems like the moss was bleached, hence the color, which if it is true... it ain't growing no more. :)

SB

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
While I am no moss expert, I can vouch for the difference between the lowes\home depot stuff and the stuff QC uses. Just the smell after it is wet is enough to tell you how much better it is. I have actually lost froglets to the cheap stuff from lowes\home depot.

G

·
Sphagnum will start to grow again under the right conditions.

Melissa,
Is the stuff you were selling at the MDG meeting the same kind you are talkin about now? If it is, then thats the same as my stuff(at least by the looks of it), except not as expensive.

·
Registered
475 Posts
There are some causes where algae does grow on the spaghum, but the moss itself will grow too. I can post some pictures of both instances if anyone is interested.
Hi Melissa,

Yes, I want to see the difference.

SB

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I use chilean sphagnum, they have it at home improvement stores for about $5 a bag, but be careful becuase sometimes they store it under plants, and when they are watered, the water soaks the moss, and if there is any fertilizer in it, it is now on the moss, and if it is used in a tank it will kill you frogs. My friend had this happen once, and the frogs were dead within hours of being placed in the tank. Now he orders a few cases at a time directly from sun-bulb so he knows it is free of fertilizer. If anybody wants some moss that is guaranteed free of fertilizer just send me a pm.

·
Premium Member
2,437 Posts
I took some quick photos, if anyone has any problems seeing the details please let me know and I can email you an uncropped photo.

Spaghum moss growing in a tank:

Algae growing on spaghum moss:

steelcube said:
There are some causes where algae does grow on the spaghum, but the moss itself will grow too. I can post some pictures of both instances if anyone is interested.
Hi Melissa,

Yes, I want to see the difference.

SB

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
So the top pic is the good quality hmmmm?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts