Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought three mantella baroni, and one of them has been constantly trying to get out of the vivarium and has rubbed the skin off her nose. She starts in the morning and keeps it up all day untill the evening. The temp is around 70 degrees and humidity is 80%. Why is she acting this way? I am going to put her in a seperate tank, is that a good idea? Should I be treating the sore or will it heal on its own?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ortega said:
I just bought three mantella baroni, and one of them has been constantly trying to get out of the vivarium and has rubbed the skin off her nose. She starts in the morning and keeps it up all day untill the evening. The temp is around 70 degrees and humidity is 80%. Why is she acting this way? I am going to put her in a seperate tank, is that a good idea? Should I be treating the sore or will it heal on its own?

This is very common in WC animals (some CB have been known to do this as well). You could try to cover the glass around the bottom edge with masking tape or somesuch to serve as a visual barrier for the frog which may reduce the nose rubbing tendency. Also, seek out Dr. Frye as medications may be needed on the nose, depending on the severity of the sore.

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
does anyone know if it would help heal the sore and prevent infection if I were to use normal polysporin.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree Jason. Just be sure that it doesn't contain benzocaine or any other pain reliever as this could be very adverse to the frogs system.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I plant my mantella tanks very heavily even in the fron of the tank. They are very nervous frogs and are prone to doing things like rubbing their noses. I have used the neosporin on larger frogs but haven't tried it on anything as small as a mantella. How large of a tank are your mantellas in and how is it setup?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts