Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to use RO water due to price. I've heard carbon filters can be damaging to frogs.

What can I do to help my water? I'm fed up of hard water stains everywhere.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I just buy spring water... there was another post today about water that had some good info. Cant seem to find it this second but may want to search for it.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Carbon filtering doesn't do anything about water hardness. I'm not sure what you are concerned about with the carbon filtration.... the was some issues with excess phosphate release in some tadpole setups but that isn't a problem for the frogs.

If you want to deal with hardness due to stains you have two basic options, use distilled water or use RO water. Otherwise you are going to have hard water stains.

Ed

·
Registered
80 Posts
I use a 5 stage RO system for my misting water, and a HMA system for other water. Both use carbon, as do water companies in the treatment process, spring water bottling plants etc etc etc. Like it or not, at some point your water has been filtered with carbon. lol Oh and it's a 5 stage system as it doubles up for drinking water, complete with pressure tank, auto shut off valve and faucet. Making it much more useful, given our tap water here is absolutely disgusting! Within a day of fitting both my HMA and RO system the white 5 micron prefilters on them were a nice orangey brown from all of the rust particles.

Ade

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I get distilled water at Wal-Mart for less that $1/gallon. Some RO systems might cost a lot up front, but they are likely cheaper than purchasing bottled water in the long term, on a cost per gallon basis.

Spring water has a lot of calcium and magnesium carbonate in it (which comprise the minerals that cause the staining) if it comes from springs like those in Florida. So, the amount of minerals in spring water varies widely depending on where the spring is.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I buy my water for $0.25 a gallon at a drinking water tower. They have a huge RO system hooked up on the spot and claim to have a 5 stage system. Ill take pictures next time I go there. I want some of you informed people to see what Im buying so Im sure its a good source. I just could not afford to buy it by the gallon at walmart for $1. I get 10 gallons every 2 weeks.

Funny thing is, I have an RO system sitting in the basement that I really need to hook up. It would be nice for the misting system.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I buy my water for $0.25 a gallon at a drinking water tower. They have a huge RO system hooked up on the spot and claim to have a 5 stage system. Ill take pictures next time I go there. I want some of you informed people to see what Im buying so Im sure its a good source. I just could not afford to buy it by the gallon at walmart for $1. I get 10 gallons every 2 weeks.

Funny thing is, I have an RO system sitting in the basement that I really need to hook up. It would be nice for the misting system.
I do the same exact thing. I make sure that the drinking tower is serviced regularly. The people who maintain the towers are supposed to mark when they are serviced on the tower. If there is no indication that you can see on the tower ask the buisiness that it is in front of if they know the last time it was serviced. If not, call the number on the tower.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can get a unit if you go through enough water for it to be cost effective or you can get the water from a fish/aqarium store, it's like 30 cents a gallon and you know it's serviced regularly

·
Registered
342 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts