Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey db so a bit of background,,i had a trio of vents as my first frogs about 3 years ago, had to sell them cause i was moving states im back now and am starting a new build,,coming from the reef scene i wanna mix the two worlds,,as with reefs im not really into the background full of rocks and cramming as much as you can into it but rather an open scape that uses the reality wisely so thats what im going for here,,im gonna do an upside down stump(tops bigger then the bottom) for foreground and a much larger one behind it with both the tops being like planters for broms and the sides will be covered with moss and mini orchids,,,thats the plan anyways tho i am still pretty new i would love some input my last tank i collected moss locally and had no problems, i have a viv set up now that has alot of moss i collected and i see no signs of mites or anyother bugs i will prolly use,,,i ll post some pics of that one up tomorrow along with the construction of the new viv i started siliconing together tonight which is 14lx14wx36h i just have to set up a photobucket account agin,,im assuming thats how you load pics on here thats how i did it on reef central anyways,,comments more then welcome, pics soon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
okay so vivs just about done just need a few more things like a fan up top and some better lighting eventually,,im still looking for a second branch to reach the top of the tank and the plants i have in there now arnt permanent their just some i had laying around i gotta set up a photo bucket account agin and ill post pics just gimme a few mins

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
having a little trouble getting pics up but if you can see em let me know what you think also sorry for the crappy cell phone pics

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Frogging is different from reefing. In an aquarium your fish can use any space that doesn't have anything else in the way. With frogs you need surface area otherwise the frog can't use the space. There is a LOT of unusable space in that tank. The whole top half the frogs will have to exclusively use the glass (if they use it at all)....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes i know that like i said im still looking for another "branch" to go all the way to the top,,that will be covered in plants,,im just trying to go for more of a 3d look on this tank other then a background style set up,,,with one more branch covered on all sides with plants i should have just as many plants as if i just covered the background

·
Registered
431 Posts
You could also silicone some cork bark onto the top and have cork tubes filled with plants :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah thats not a bad idea,,,but first i want to find my second branch i do want alot of open space tho thats why i built this tank so large because i wanted alot of unusable space,,, my theory is i have enough plants already that would fill a normal 20 gal vert which is more then enough room a couple of frogs but going with this size there will be enough to have plenty of play space for the frogs and still give me that open uncrowded look im shooting for

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes! i have seen that tank and i love it,,,its very similar to the look im going for with both lots of usable space and unusable space in the tank!,,i did find another piece of wood that im going to use but without any plants on it it just looks bare,,i ll be going to hamburg reptile show in the morning so trust me it wont be bare for long, pics when i return

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just a couple updated pics on the viv,,its really hard to get a good cell phone pic, the front glass is off in these also due to the glare,,,im waiting for my tioga botanical gardens to open this spring to finish filling it with plants,,they have amazing stuff

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think it looks great; I know a bed of moss looks wonderful but sadly the frogs can't benefit very much from it, and this hobby is mostly about the frogs so if I were you I would get some leaf litter and put some on the bottom of the viv. You could leave a little bit of that gorgeous moss and I know the viv would still look wonderful.
Cheers

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea i never really liked the look of leaf litter,,you cant really tell in the pics but behind the mossy mound it drops off and theres a bunch of leaf litter behind that so the frogs would benefit from it but it would still be pretty much out of sight i also loaded it with springs,,i may add some more on the sides tho not sure yet,,still just buildin away

·
Registered
54 Posts
yea i never really liked the look of leaf litter,,you cant really tell in the pics but behind the mossy mound it drops off and theres a bunch of leaf litter behind that so the frogs would benefit from it but it would still be pretty much out of sight i also loaded it with springs,,i may add some more on the sides tho not sure yet,,still just buildin away
in that case, u might not see ur frogs at the front but rather at the back of the viv? just a thou.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Looks pretty cool with the addition of the new wood. I have to agree about the leaf litter though. A thought for you. Attach more of the mosses to your wood. Remove 90% of it from the bottom. Fill the bottom with a couple inches of leaf litter. Get a ground cover Sellaginella to drape over parts of your leaf litter. Possibly Sellginella martensii.
Once you experience the benefits of vast quantities of leaf litter, you will learn to love it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts