Dendroboard banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Wow, those are some beautiful frogs! What is the third picture of, an escudo, esperanza, or other?

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Shawn, wish you were located further south so I could come look at the collection! I must ask 3 simple questions:

1) How many variations of Oophaga Pumilio do you have

2) What is your favorite Oophaga variation?

3) What variation are the three orange frogs in the 6th photo?

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shawn, wish you were located further south so I could come look at the collection! I must ask 3 simple questions:

1) How many variations of Oophaga Pumilio do you have

2) What is your favorite Oophaga variation?

3) What variation are the three orange frogs in the 6th photo?
Will,

I used to live in FLA....lol

1) Who knows!? I have ~100 vivs of obligates, but I really dont keep track of an inventory list.

2) hum....I dont have one. I like Basti, escudo, colon, but really I just like seeing them breeding, so my favorite = froglets :)

3) 'Rio Branco' Panama

·
Registered
623 Posts
Will,

I used to live in FLA....lol

1) Who knows!? I have ~100 vivs of obligates, but I really dont keep track of an inventory list.

2) hum....I dont have one. I like Basti, escudo, colon, but really I just like seeing them breeding, so my favorite = froglets :)

3) 'Rio Branco' Panama
Well this just tells me I'm in the wrong career field....maybe I should become a sports doc too! You know, just to finance a frog room.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting, my Rio brancos were less orange and more of a red-orange. I think they were an '08 or '09 import. Good looks!
Will

That grouping is 'special', although I had 50+ of them here, and Justin can attest that the population is highly variable.

I would be surprised if that orange group throws red, yellow, orange, brown offspring.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Beautiful frogs. Great pics Shawn. Thank you for sharing them.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Will

That grouping is 'special', although I had 50+ of them here, and Justin can attest that the population is highly variable.

I would be surprised if that orange group throws red, yellow, orange, brown offspring.
Unless there is an accidental typo above or there 'special'ness goes beyond color...I am confused. Why would it be surprising for an all orange grouping from a highly variable population to throw different color offspring?

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
Rio Branco have the most variable population I've ever seen, at least 5-7 different "morphs" with specimens in between. I think that the "mainland Cristobals" that came in years ago are the same as one of these Rio Banco morphs. Did anyone ever breed those? It will be really look to see what all the imports throw in the next few months as they are bred.

·
Banned
1,347 Posts
I think he just means it was one of the rarer color mutations in the shipment. I'm sure they'll throw all sort of cool colors.

Unless there is an accidental typo above or there 'special'ness goes beyond color...I am confused. Why would it be surprising for an all orange grouping from a highly variable population to throw different color offspring?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts