Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am testing some flash bouncers and wanted to see what you guys though. This is one I borrowed from a friend, but I plan to order a couple tomorrow, what do you think:

·
Registered
986 Posts
I think the light is very nice and even while still maintaining the natural highlights of the frog. Exceptional . . . I wish I could get lighting results consistently that good!

G

·
0 Posts
holy sh-wow. Just when I think the pics can't get any better.....

What exactly is a flash bouncer (the concept is probably implied in the name) and how does it work?

G

·
0 Posts
Great shot Kyle!! I do agree that flash bouncers are the way to go when taking pics of frogs. The direct light coming from the flash just over exposes them and creates too much glare. The subtle lighting that was cast on that terribilis is amazing! Great work!

-Bill J.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks man, I can't wait until the ones I order get here... They are mcuh smaller and should help a great deal.

BillJohnson said:
Great shot Kyle!! I do agree that flash bouncers are the way to go when taking pics of frogs. The direct light coming from the flash just over exposes them and creates too much glare. The subtle lighting that was cast on that terribilis is amazing! Great work!

-Bill J.

G

·
0 Posts
Kyle,
do you use any backlighting on the photos? it seems you might be able to get a little more detail if you had at least one source (maybe 2) directed from the rear as well as using bouncers.

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do not yet, one issue is just the tank in general, they don't allow a lot of options. I am planning on trying a couple flashes with bouncers, just a matter of some more hardware.

idea said:
Kyle,
do you use any backlighting on the photos? it seems you might be able to get a little more detail if you had at least one source (maybe 2) directed from the rear as well as using bouncers.

G

·
0 Posts
I find that for "in-tank" lighting is difficult as well, but i usually come up with a solution. I use a standard "light bulb on an extension cord" but with a full spectrum screw in flourescent bulb. i then pop it in a plastic bag with a colored gel for back light. the flouro doesn't get hot at all and the plastic keeps it dry. cheap easy and very effective especially if you already have a set of color gels.

kyle1745 said:
I do not yet, one issue is just the tank in general, they don't allow a lot of options. I am planning on trying a couple flashes with bouncers, just a matter of some more hardware.

idea said:
Kyle,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts