Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what does moss grow from? Seed, spore, other?

I'm curious if there is a way to "seed" a viv and eventually see a bunch of moss growth. instead of buying moss. Just bc you would know how/where it was grown.

Just a thought I wanted to share.

·
Registered
747 Posts
what does moss grow from? Seed, spore, other?

I'm curious if there is a way to "seed" a viv and eventually see a bunch of moss growth. instead of buying moss. Just bc you would know how/where it was grown.

Just a thought I wanted to share.
Moss grows from spore. Their spores are just about everywhere. I grow many species in my vivs from spore. I introduce spore to the viv via soils and introducing mature colonies of a desired species. The spores then get knocked around into the viv and grow. I have 2 cubes I made that are teaming with probably over a dozen species of moss, most grown from spore. My favorite are the fissidens bryoides colonies that are nicely filling in the front of my cauchero viv. It is really rewarding seeing everything grow in.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very cool.

Is there a way to purchase the spores? It sounds rediculous I know.
I've heard of payote does being sold, so maybe its not that rediculous. It'd be sweet to get some moss spores and rub it into drift wood and around other desired areas.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Very cool.

Is there a way to purchase the spores? It sounds rediculous I know.
I've heard of payote does being sold, so maybe its not that rediculous. It'd be sweet to get some moss spores and rub it into drift wood and around other desired areas.

Not so crazy. I don't think there is a reliable source for moss spore but if you really want to try bad enough, I could send you some soil laced with a few things. All you would have to do is put a nice layer of a clay based soil down in your viv, take the soil I send you and just spread over the top of your existing soil in the viv and spray it down. Add some good light and about a month later you will see colonies of moss starting to grow.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not so crazy. I don't think there is a reliable source for moss spore but if you really want to try bad enough, I could send you some soil laced with a few things. All you would have to do is put a nice layer of a clay based soil down in your viv, take the soil I send you and just spread over the top of your existing soil in the viv and spray it down. Add some good light and about a month later you will see colonies of moss starting to grow.
I may take you up on that. I'm waiting for my abg/clay mix to come in now. If your serious, I can pm you when I get my lights and get the build finished.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. 1st post here.
Having studied Bonsai for several years, I know that there are a few Bonsai supply companies that sell moss spores. They come in a small envelope packet sort of like what seeds come in. I believe one of the best kinds is called Kyoto moss spores. You just sprinkle the spores on, keep them moist, and in a few weeks, voila, your growing moss.
I am not partial to any of the supply houses and don't really remeber who carries them anymore. Just type in a search for them. Hope this helps.

Shohin

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds good! I'll be sure to check that out tomorrow! Hopefully they are viv/frog safe as well.
I've been wanting a bonsai too. I could grow a killer long neck dino!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Sounds good! I'll be sure to check that out tomorrow! Hopefully they are viv/frog safe as well.
I've been wanting a bonsai too. I could grow a killer long neck dino!
You should just grow a mullet and a mustache.

But seriously, if you're serious then I'm serious and we can be serious together and get others serious about our seriousness...... What the H E double hockey sticks that's a weird word.... Shoot me a pm when you're ready!

Josh

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
what would a mullet have to do with it? I'm not building bonsai animals out of empty beer cans.. Yet. and I couldn't grow a mustache if I wanted.

But when im serious, I'll seriously hit you up and check your level of seriousness about being serious about this.

·
Registered
747 Posts
what would a mullet have to do with it? I'm not building bonsai animals out of empty beer cans.. Yet. and I couldn't grow a mustache if I wanted.

But when im serious, I'll seriously hit you up and check your level of seriousness about being serious about this.
The mullet and mustache would show the level of seriousness in your seriousness. But seriously. I'm serious about send you dirt in the mail as long as you are serious about paying the shipping.

I'll make sure the soil is loaded with fissidens bryoides for ya.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok sounds good. I'll give you a shout once I get this viv set up.
Thanks man

·
Registered
747 Posts
Holy monster trucks batman! May I ask how the sheet moss I got from Josh's Frogs differs from fissidens bryoides in growing requirements? I did an image search and it looks very nice.

Link to moss
Sheet Moss (1 gallon) | Josh's Frogs

---
I am here: Google Maps

Fissidens bryoides will require either a decomposing log or even better, nice loamy clay soil. Also, it will require a more consistent temp than your sheet moss. If the temps get too warm it will die. It likes to be consistent in the low 70's. Good strong light will encourage better growth with this species as well. Otherwise, it is super easy to grow. I don't have to try. It just pops up everywhere.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts