Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two female mantella viridis are eating like mad... they are spoting the food like women goiing in a -75% sales....

My male who is really shy.... He is always calling but shy... is not goiing search the food in the same time that my female... Always waiting that I am goiing out of is site....

I am worring that the male is not eating a lot... If I but more,,, the female a eating just more... when I try to feed them a different time... they do the same thing... When I am not feeding them one of the female is gooing were they have little tiny thing crawling and eat them... She is waiting me to put more biggest food...

Want I can do...

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
How big is the tank? If the male gets too skinny, I would separate them for a while, until the male puts weight back on. They should probably have at least a twenty gallon tank for the trio.
Take care,

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 30 gallons....

If he don't eat more this week I will put aways....

How do you know that the female is fat or have eggs....

Christian

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Well, with our Gold mantella's we really couldn't tell until you could see the outlines of the eggs through the skin. Maybee the male is just enjoying some peace and quiet while the girls pig out! :lol:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was worry for nothing

The male is just slim.... he is not skinny he just love fatgirlfrog..... The girls a really fat... so my judment was wrong...

This morning when I feed them... He was calling like crazy... and was hunting like mad at the food...

The fatgirlfrog... to but the male take the good spot.... A thing that he is not doing often...

If they don't lay some eggs in september.... I will do dry season... whit less food...

But do you know what is a not dangerous dry season....????? 60% humidity... or less....

·
Registered
720 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much, my viridis are the same way. My males like to come out more in the early morning, while my fat females will eat all day long. I think the males are shyer.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I have 1 painted, only up in the morning, other then that in hideing. I am thinking he is a male, but cant tell by behavior, each frog is different.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ok, I don't actually own darts yet, and I'm probably gonna look really stupid for saying this, lol, but I had the same problem with my firebellied toads. I don't know if this would be way too stressful for darts, but with my toads I just take them out and put them in a seperate container for feeding so I can moniter exactly how much each one gets. Just an idea....:)

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I hope you have your problem worked out by now, but, for a gravid mantella, you can usually see the little eggs in here sides, right above her back legs. If she is just fat, she will have a lot more fat buildup around her flanks, and up under her chin. I have one mantella aurantiaca girl who is quite obese, and you can totally tell by looking at her throat. It just looks like a fat roll. A for your male eating, as long as he looks healthy, he should be fine. You can tell if he gets skinny. His legs will be very thin, andhis waist will get really thin. Just try putting food right next to his hiding spot, and he should pick up the little critters as they pass buy. Viridis are just rather shy, however it is usually the females that are the shy ones. Anyway, good luck with them, i have a large colony of viridis, and they are great frogs. THey make a wonderful alarm clock for 5 am everyday, when they start chirping. That is when you know you are a frogger, when your frogs are your alarm clock. Quite the expensive alarm I'd have to say :roll: hehe, Wouldn't trade them for anything else though, Good luck with them

Ed

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My female are fat but not to much... they are really active... but now that is ok....

they are not becoming much bigger... they are stable....

My male is ok and is coloration is now really brigth in the back....

he is now calling from every were... and i put three new mantella viridis in they sunday....

%?&$.... they are really making noise...

I have one male and two female sure.....

But 2 other can be male or female.... and one other is a male.... but i never see him making noise... so he is in the :?: cathegorie

Can you send a picture of this part....

hope you have your problem worked out by now, but, for a gravid mantella, you can usually see the little eggs in here sides, right above her back legs.

I am not sure that what are you talking about... french thing...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts