Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Here are some pics of my exo terra - since these pics my camera is not working so not able to show bigger image - hard to capture the depth

I didnt like the exo terra stand or the price, so I went to Walmart and spent $60 on this small night stand - it was flimsy so I added 4x 6" L brackets on top to sidewalls and 4x 2" L brackets on bottom shelf attached to side walls. Made huge difference - added few hours labor and trip to Lowes, but $$ over cost of prefab exo terra stand which I didnt like anyway.

let me know if any questions

Feel free to comment

Thx
Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if you look at pic w big Tillandsia, the darkbrown color is a protruding construction of cork bark made into a "slide" waterfall - terminates into the corner - The pump is under hydroton/gravel in left rear corner - semi pain to get to but can replace pump when it goes out.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Nice. I think a few more plants will make it look great. By the way, is that a biocube aquarium? I've always wanted to take one and use it for a viv because of it's awesome lights, bu they cost over 220$ for the 29g

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yup, JBJ Biocube 29g - in hind sight i would not recommend unless your going Reef. I setup as Freshwater w plants - its overkill - but I got it for a good price so no harm and I can always chg to reef it I want.

Remember the biocube may have a cool sealed top, but it also has a false back w built in overflow filter area (the old dutch style wet-dry) Not sure I would fancy making it into a viv.

Actually, I dont really like the exo terra either. Too much trouble for make FF proof and glass is thin.. My new vivs are "old School" - They will be verts - Some people may disagree about standard viv vs Exoterra style, but I ll take the bargin Petco.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Yup, JBJ Biocube 29g - in hind sight i would not recommend unless your going Reef. I setup as Freshwater w plants - its overkill - but I got it for a good price so no harm and I can always chg to reef it I want.

Remember the biocube may have a cool sealed top, but it also has a false back w built in overflow filter area (the old dutch style wet-dry) Not sure I would fancy making it into a viv.

Actually, I dont really like the exo terra either. Too much trouble for make FF proof and glass is thin.. My new vivs are "old School" - They will be verts - Some people may disagree about standard viv vs Exoterra style, but I ll take the bargin Petco.
Oh yeah, forgot about that lol. I've read things about too much light for a fresh. I never knew exos weren't ff proof, thanks for telling me. I like building my own verts because it's cheaper, and with the right tank, you can either have lots of vert space, horz. space, or both! :D. I'm loving how my 20 l vert is coming, it's super tall. Sad I had to take the plants ut and air it out though. Hopefully my plants will be ok. I got a 55g at the petco sale, not sure if ill leave it as it is, or vert it for next build. I've got a 100 gallon reef tank that's only got some live rock with some nice corals, maybe I can turn that into something... hmm....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.