Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a little confused by my solanum cuttings. I'd like to know everyone's opinions on lighting for solanum. My cuttings are all growing, but despite moving them around to different lighting scenarios, one cutting does great while the other bleaches or is unhappy. Comments?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
So I'm a little confused by my solanum cuttings. I'd like to know everyone's opinions on lighting for solanum. My cuttings are all growing, but despite moving them around to different lighting scenarios, one cutting does great while the other bleaches or is unhappy. Comments?

I have limited experience, I only have one type of Solanum and have only had it for a month. It's Solanum cf evolvifolium.

I have it in a plant-only terrarium, with two shop lights over top and it's seemingly thriving in a corner where it gets reasonable light but not a ton of light. It's rooted (after I bought it) and grown about 8" in a month.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have a solanum species that looks very similar (identical?) to the one in the top picture. I got it from blackjungle and even they didn't know specifically what it was. I got it as a rooted plant not a cutting and its doing probably better in my viv then any of my plants. Its getting pretty strong light at around 80-100 par/ppfd.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I also have this (or similar) plant. The foliage can be variable depending on the stage of growth and amount of light.

Is it possible the cutting that’s bleaching is from a very low-light portion of the vine? If so, that foliage won’t like much more light than what is was grown in. (I hate that sentence, but it’s early)

Alternatively, could the cutting be from a high light area and was already “bleached” to begin?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it possible the cutting that’s bleaching is from a very low-light portion of the vine? If so, that foliage won’t like much more light than what is was grown in. (I hate that sentence, but it’s early)
I have a suspicion this is the case as all the new growth looks like it has acclimated to my lighting in the tank.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here to close out some threads that I had started a while ago. Been gone a while busy ensuring my business survives the pandemic. The plant didn't make it. It bleached out, dropped it's leaves, and slowly rotted away. Bummer because I really liked it. One of the only plants I have had that I couldn't get acclimated to my setups.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts