Dendroboard banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Bico grow-out/QT tank the moss has a bunch of fine white mold hairs. Should I leave it as I would with other molding in fully established vivs, or can I place quality soil over top the moss layer? I could tear it all down and just use the soil with leaf litter(as i do with all my vivs), but it would be easier and less stressful on the frogs(The frogs are very newly acquired...)
to just cover the moss. Any tips or input would be greatly appreciated!
All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should proceed with soil covering? It(Fine white hair mold) is clearing up a bit, but the tank is a VERY simple sheet moss set-up. The moss is less than an inch in depth, and would likely be beneficial in the rooting of the ivy. The moss under the soil would act as a cultivator of sorts in that it will provide loose substrate to root significantly in. Am I wrong?

Thanks!

JBaer

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Would it be easier to just place some leaf litter over the molded parts if you are concerned about the frogs and the mold?
Bryan

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be honest, I know the frogs will tolerate the short flare up, but I am very anxious to take some pics, and the background is less than appealing... Also, I really don't like a mold that persists for a few days.

Thanks for the reply!

JBear

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Get plenty of airflow---short of using vinegar in the tank, that is what keeps the 'white fuzz' under control. It will grow over and kill moss if given the right conditions.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Get plenty of airflow---short of using vinegar in the tank, that is what keeps the 'white fuzz' under control. It will grow over and kill moss if given the right conditions.
I can certainly provide more airflow, but how can i curb the FF escapees? I don't like fruit in the viv...

Thanks!

JBear

1 - 8 of 8 Posts