Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With many societies and groups forming in the last year across the country, it got me thinking about the purpose of these groups. I love going to WADS meeting and talking to other local froggers etc., but how do some of you see these groups evolving. How will these groups mature/ what will the process look like? I look at the BDG site and wonder if they started in similar fashons as the infant North American groups. Just curious...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think it is so amazing that we have as many local groups as we do. The dart frog community is unlike anyother I know of. The willingness to share ideas, and answer questions of new people!!!

Our AZ group is very informal. I would personally like to see us have a speaker at each one, but that's yet to happen in the last year and 1/2. We just eat, drink, and talk frogs. Greg and I also host all the get togethers at our house. Hopefully as we continue to grow, we can meet at others House's too.

I feel for those that don't have groups at this time. And anyone is welcome in our group. We have had froggers show up from New Mexico, Utah and Colorado in the past!!!!

I just hope it continues to grow, and it will be yet another resource for new people in each community!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Also

Amanda hit on most of the best parts of our societies. My hope with WADS is to create an environment where new people to the hobby can learn from each other. It is also a place where frog lovers can talk about their beloved hobby without interuptions from the ignorant (see greasers post on frog lickers). The benefit is that it incorporates a great deal of really good frogger in one place. I have Ken from Peace of the Tropics at my meetings. Woo Hoo sweet shopping! And frogs for sale from other people! Great company and good food. It always a good time.

I would like to take it a step further and work towards education of these wonderful animals. Currently WADS is workign with the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle about sponsoring an exhibit. It was hoped that other displays could be created for the Pacific Science Center, The Point Defience Zoo, and the Newport aquarium in Oregon. I think that educating the public is important in keeping dart frogs. The more positive experiences that people have with these frogs, the better the hobby looks. And maybe, just maybe it touches someone so deep that they become another champion for the conservation and preservation of these great frogs.

Dave

G

·
As far as the MDG meetings have gone, I believe they where all just meet and greats and differnt places. I have only been to 2 of these so far, one of which I hosted. I do plan on hosting more in the future and would like to see it become a little more formal but I see a few things that can be a problem.

Some of the biggest problem is the size of the area your local group covers and how many meetings you have per year. With beign part of the MDG, we are covering Il, In, Oh, Mi, Ks, and I belive Iowa. This is a large area to cover for one group. Then you have to take into consideration how many people in your group would be interested in it becoming a little more formal. I know for one, I would like to see some of it become a little more formal but not to formal.

I believe that almost all of these groups are sort of a miniture IAD or NWFF without all of the formalities. I would love to see more of these types of Shows with lectures and all in differnt states since everybody can not make it to either one of these shows. This only brings up another problem as far as becoming more formal with the groups. Not every local group has a place Like NAIB to host such behind the sences or personal to give lectures. We could always start small with class such as Terrarium building 101 or advance Terrarium building and so fourth.

Well I think you can get what I am trying to say. It has been a long day for me and just starting to ramble on. Hope you all have a good day and good eve.

Mike P.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts