Dendroboard banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
@eMCRay what direction do you have the fans pointing? Pulling outside air in, or vice versa?
Pointing inwards / down. Since there is about a half-inch gap between the fan and the top of the viv, it will recirculate a nice mix of viv and outside air - and I can then also cover up the vent from the outside to control it during the drier months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Of course I do - wouldn't recommend them otherwise.

Here it is attached to a fan (I sealed up some of the extra gaps with silicone to avoid thumbs getting any stupid ideas or dirt / FFs making it in). Works great - and in many cases have been running for a few years. They obviously last longer if you seal them up like this to avoid dirt or feeders clogging them up (but I can still take them out and swap them if I needed to).

View attachment 298235 View attachment 298236

Here is the same assembly in a thumb viv. I attach it to the top beneath a cut-out / vent so it can circulate a nice balance of outside and inside air. So 4 total of these filters for one viv - two on each side of the fan assembly, one on the outside of each vent (I use two). The huge benefit of this is that I can manually control how much outside air is taken in by partially covering up the vent.

This is the "intake" / re-circulation (sometimes the frogs even climb all over it if its more humid...).

View attachment 298237

Here is the outflow.

View attachment 298238

It's also available in different sizes - here is a 20 or 25cm version in one of my larger builds (with geckos, hence the bamboo).

View attachment 298239
What fan is this? And for one tank do you need two different fans? I also have no clue how I would cut them into glass

·
Registered
291 Posts
What fan is this? And for one tank do you need two different fans? I also have no clue how I would cut them into glass
Just one fan on one side (to keep a nice diagonal airflow with some pockets of moving and some less-moving air).

4 of the filters (2x for both sides of the fan and one each to close up the vents from the outside).
Fan I used Evercool 80mm x 10mm Fan (EC8010M12CA) - FrozenCPU.com (tried to keep a low profile) - you can adjust the size based on the size your viv; they can get quite large - I've used the 80mm, 120mm, 140mm and 200mm.
Filter: ModRight FilterRight 80mm Clear Aluminum Fan Filter - FrozenCPU.com

The picture I took is from a 1/4 inch custom acrylic build, so it's a bit easier to work with (and lighter) - my own design that I might post a design & build log on soon. Downside is that it scratches easier and can warp at high humidities if it's too thin / not reinforced properly.

You can cut glass (and I've done it too) with diamond hole saws (like 15-20 bucks at home depot or amazon). Here is a good tutorial (and wear leather gloves / eye protection):

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well done! The analyst in me loves an explanation via flow chart. I've been gathering information on this site for weeks, and this chart summarizes everything a newbie like me needs to know about creating a healthy environment. I wish I had noticed it at the beginning of my journey. It's a perfect launchpad.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts