Dendroboard banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Some organisms that semi aquatic species carry without consequences can cause severe disease in lizards and snakes. Whether they are wild caught or not.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
I'm going to assume, (SM correct me if I'm wrong), that it was the comment about it being "years ago" that led to the assumption that the anoles, fire bellied toads and green tree frogs were wild caught.
Yes, this was part of my thinking. But, currently virtually all (like, 99%) of green tree frogs and anoles in the trade are WC.

Since these are all 'general pet store' (i.e. Petco) species, I made the assumption that this is where they were purchased; very, very few people would go out of their way to hunt up (and pay premium price for) these sorts of species only to house them inappropriately. It is possible, but quite improbable.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, this was part of my thinking. But, currently virtually all (like, 99%) of green tree frogs and anoles in the trade are WC.

Since these are all 'general pet store' (i.e. Petco) species, I made the assumption that this is where they were purchased; very, very few people would go out of their way to hunt up (and pay premium price for) these sorts of species only to house them inappropriately. It is possible, but quite improbable.
I'll agree on that. As for the Green Tree Frog part, I think it depends on the locale of the frog. I was thinking of the big Australian ones, not the American variety.

·
Super Moderator
3,583 Posts
I'll agree on that. As for the Green Tree Frog part, I think it depends on the locale of the frog. I was thinking of the big Australian ones, not the American variety.
I've not heard of Ranoidea caerulea being called anything but White's or dumpy. 'Green Tree Frog' most commonly refers to Dryophytes cinereus, and least when the common name is used by North American speakers. Given the species mentioned, this was not likely taking place in Australia.

Reactions: Tihsho

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
One of my first experiences in this hobby years ago was an 80 gallon bow front tank with Green tree frogs, firebelly toads and crested geckos. I modified the top with mostly screen and used hand misting to regulate the humidity. After a bit I added in green anoles to get some more action happening in the day time and everyone did great.

Don't let people talk you out of any wild ideas you come up with. No one knows every possible way of safely keeping every pet. do your research on each animal you want to keep. If you can figure out how to create the environments needed by different critters in the same tank, and they aren't likely to eat each other, go for it! just have a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

The "Wild Ideas" that you are expounding have caused sick animals, most which were too inexpensive to warrant care from their owners.

So they lingered until they died. I have seen it first hand. Most available memories I would be happy to detail.

Some details of your outcomes, longivities, etc of Doing Great, would be a great touch.

Remember though many in your audience here have as much as half a century of personal and professional exotics experience, so look before you leap.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Entamoeba invadens was a veterinarian verified culprit and other cases with signature symptoms that did not recieve the grace of treated, there was a bloom of incidents when the "viquarium" was released.

But it also happened at the Academy of Sciences multiple sp environment.

That happened many years ago. The hazards of water and moist surfaces providing vehicle of transmission is well known.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts