Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My G/B Auratus laid their first clutch of eggs last Tuesday. I have had my 4 year old daughter helping me out with simple tasks like spraying and feeding. Last Monday and Tuesday she kept pointing out that the "froggies" were louder than normal and maybe "they will have little baby froggies." And what do you know that Tuesday there was a clutch of eggs!!!

I know there is no real question or advice here but I just couldn't contain how proud I am of her. She is extremely interested in anything that has to do with the frogs and asks so many questions. I never knew if she really understood everything I told her but she totally blew my mind this week with that prediction!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Kids are just awesome. Their capacity to learn is amazing. What I really love about kids is that they have yet to grow up into jaded cynical adults. Everything is still amazing and exciting to them and the simplest things entertain them.

A similar story is how our educators at the zoo talk about recycling, cleaning up trash, etc to save our oceans. After a sea lion show one day this one little girl stayed after and despite much protesting from her parents cleaned up most of the trash and carried off half a dozen water bottles to the recycling bin. I cried a little inside. Like you discovered with your daughter absorbing all the information you gave her, it was nice to know that our message does indeed get through.

Congrats on your Auratus eggs. You sound like a fantastic parent.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your story. Sometimes children see things more clearly than we do, as their heads aren't full of thoughts of the mortgage or paying the electrical bills.

I would consider changing her name to Monday!

Good luck with the clutch, Richard.

Reactions: DragonSpirit1185

·
Registered
253 Posts
That's really great! In this day and age kids aren't learning enough about science and nature. Your daughter will grow up to be a better smarter person because you involved her in your hobby. Great kid and great parenting! :)

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I'm hoping to do the same with my daughter...
I had her a mini zoo here but I've been slowly selling everything since her mum decided to move out and take Adonia with her :(
I got rid of all the rodents and I'm just focusing on my reptiles and amphibians.

I can't wait for Adonia to get older so I can experiance moments like these.
She is only 4 months old now.
I hope to make her a huge animal lovers and teach her to appreciate the animals instead of just buying one and getting bored and leaving me to get rid of it.
To many parents buy pets for their children and don't teach them anything about them.

·
Registered
987 Posts
That's awesome she is so involved. I also have a 4yo daughter tha loves frogs. This is a small viv we set up in here room for a few grow out reginas. (BTW, she is a huge Spongebob fan as well.)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your story. Sometimes children see things more clearly than we do, as their heads aren't full of thoughts of the mortgage or paying the electrical bills.

I would consider changing her name to Monday!

Good luck with the clutch, Richard.
Thanks you all for the great comments. The clutch is doing very well. Two hatched yesterday and there are still two more that are about to.

Everytime me daughter sprays the tank now she takes her little flashlight out and checks for eggs. She is so proud of herself and when we have company she is eager to show them what we have accomplished. :D

Reactions: skynett

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awww how cute. That's great that she helps you out so much even though she is so young. My little brother used to also help me out with my chinchilla and actually took care of her when was away. He loves animals as much as I do. That's great she shows so much interest maybe she'll also decide to get into the hobby when she gets older.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts