Well, browsing the local classifieds last week, I stumbled upon a $50 125 gallon aquarium (L48"XD18"XH31"). I will create a construction log for this monster as I progress with it. So far I have removed the front panel of glass, as I am converting it into a front sliding door viv, with probably 3 panes of 1/8 glass for the door. All the hardware is on order and I am off to the glass shop to have the front piece cut in portion to cover the top and 10 inches of the front .
any tips, advice from others would be appreciated. I am planning on using a GS/Cork/Moss background with a very narrow low flow channeled waterfall/stream from the left back corner. I will also be using driftwood and pvc vines to create plant space, as I have a large order of pleurothallids coming soon from cloudjungle (So exciting!). Thanks for looking and/or watching
looks like a fun project. I never come across deals like that. Everyone alround here prices used tanks like they were brand new a perfectly clean etc. So ive not managed to find a good one yet. How easy was it to cut the front pannel of glass off??
It was a snap, i just took some 8lb berkley fireline, layered it about 8 times, and slid it down the sides in a slicing fashion. All in all, took around 10 minutes. Cleaning the original owners horrific silicone job has proven to be far more tedious
it could have been rough on the hands, but i used some pieces of dowel to wrap the fishing line on Believe me, i do have battle wounds already from this tank, but mostly due to the removal of the trim pieces
as far as frogs go, i'm thinking of picking up some of next springs imports from understoryenterprises. I don't know what he will have to offer, but I really like the lowland fantasticas, veradero's, vanzo's, uakarii, borja ridge vents, or maybe just good old quinquevittatus..... I was thinking of letting a more terrestrial tinc pair roam the lower layer though, while the ranitomeya's will have the upper strata. I will also most likely be keeping a pair of Lygodactylus williamsi in there as well (i know they are african). I was thinking of doing a group of pums, but I think I want to be able to do more than 4 or 5 frogs in it
Here is the progress thus far. I am still waiting on the glass track for the front doors, but I have cleaned out all the old silicone and resealed it. The side glass piece was cut in half for the top and the front 13 inches. I have already installed the false bottom, drilled the back of the tank for the pump chord, foamed in all the wood and am now in the process of trimming and shaping the foam.
Waterfall built of lace rock, hot glued and then foamed into place. 1/2" pvc pipe foamed in behind.
All the wood is set in place first with hot glue, then foamed for support
The background is in now i'm waiting on the front doors and my glass hole saw. I wish I could capture the depth of everything better, but there are lots of shelves and "branches" formed in the foam for planting and what not.
You are definitely more than welcome to come and check it out when it is finished. I'm getting excited to start planting it .