Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this goes here...but I got some awesome! clippings from a buddy of mine and they ended up havin snails..never had any issues with plants of his before so just planted them in my grow out tank not really thinking about them having bugs..Dumb I know....well anyway 1 week later My gf noticed a bunch of bugs in the tank.. and yeah there is a crap load of snails and theyre taking over fast!! I just really don't want to have to go through and wash each one with a bleach solution, since I am sure ill also have to throw out all of my substrate to make sure i get rid of them. Question is would a dry ice bomb do the job in killing off these snails or am i pretty much SOL? Any help would be really appreciated!!

Thanks,
Tyson

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If you can get the CO2 deep enough to cover all of the potential areas that the snails could be hiding in, then yes it will kill at least some of the snails if you keep it sealed up for several days. The problem is if the snails can close thier shell with the opercula they can survive a surprising period of time exposed to CO2. The eggs may also be able to survive the exposure. If dry ice is readily available, I would suggest bombing the tank, waiting two weeks and repeating, waiting two more weeks and then repeat again. That would hopefully get them as well as any eggs that maybe hatching.

Ed

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL no way Ed. Ill just rip the tank apart and do that 5% bleach solution we talked about really seems like the easiest method instead of having to wait a month for results that are questionable! Thanks Ed!

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
It is just one of those things... CO2 can be very effective.. just keep in mind that a closed up snail shell is pretty impervious to bleach as well....

Ed

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I went up to Oz's last weekend and noticed he sprinkles Sluggo in each of his tanks to kill slugs and snails. And it won't harm the frogs or other microfauna.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Death, taxes and snails...
Many just consider it an unpleasant side effect of introducing plants, substrate or hardscape into the terrarium.
I work to keep them under control by pulling them out as I see them. I've had good success by putting a wedge of cucumber in a petri dish into the tank right before lights out; as soon as the lights come on the next morning, pull the petri dish and the slugs/snails with it. Don't wait too long after the lights come on as they will disappear back into the tank, fattened up on your cucumber.
Scott

·
Registered
151 Posts
I went up to Oz's last weekend and noticed he sprinkles Sluggo in each of his tanks to kill slugs and snails. And it won't harm the frogs or other microfauna.
It doesn't harm the frog's one bit? What if the ff's or spring's or iso's munch on it and then the frog's eat them? :eek:

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
I get paranoid about it mostly because slugs love my favorite plants in the tanks!! Stick in a jewel orchid or fittonia and they will be the first to show you if you have snails...

I work with a lot of aquatic plants so as part of the "cleaning and inspecting" process I check for snails. This is why I prefer plants be sent bare root if possible. Just the act of rinsing and looking closely has taken care of the majority of my snail issue, and often times the rest gets taken care of during quarantine (grow out in a 2/5 gallon tank with only plants from the same source) - either some severe cleaning (bleach or the solution I use for tissue culture) or the plant gets tossed. It's not perfect but it works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts