Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today after I got home from work I noticed some mnails in my terrarium. All I am wondering if they are bad or if they could be harmfully to my frogs. I have not introduced anything new since I have set up the enclosure (back in September). I'm not sure how they could have gotten in there. My biggest worry is my frogs. Just last Sunday i noticed that my smaller frog, the male, was calling. Talk about exciting:). So, that leaves me to believe that my larger frog is a female. They are constantly chasing each other, especially when the male calls. The play doesn't seem to be aggressive.
Now, I'm waiting to see what happens. If I find some eggs I'm gonna party like it's 1999 :D.
So, now, do I have to worry about the snails.....can they harm my frogs or (hopefully future) egg.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Sorry friend, snails eat eggs!
Put pieces of Iceburg lettuce in the viv in various spots. Remove them in the morning and add more. Continue until you cannot find any snails. Keep checking periodically because it is virtually impossible to get them all. But you can keep them in check.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so very much. I was afraid that that would be the case. :mad:I am going to become there personal poltergeist. Thank you very much for the tip.
I am going to move the frogs as soon as I finish building the new terrarium. Then, I have to gut the old one and start all over. New project, can't be too mad ;). Main priority, keeping the damn pest in check, and finishing the new enclosure.
Any advice is quite welcome

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Your best preventative measure is thoroughly cleaning all plants. Rinse and work all the old soil out of the roots. Then give your plants a 10 minute soak in a 5% bleach solution (one cup of bleach to 19 cups of water). Solution should be room temperature to SLIGHTLY warm.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depends what kind of snails I imagine.
I have these little 1/4" spiral shaped ones that came in on something years ago. They're neat little things and judging by the number of tadpoles my male auratus drops off in in the water cups all over the tank I doubt they have much effect on any eggs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Sorry friend, snails eat eggs!
Put pieces of Iceburg lettuce in the viv in various spots. Remove them in the morning and add more. Continue until you cannot find any snails. Keep checking periodically because it is virtually impossible to get them all. But you can keep them in check.
I tried the lettuce routine and never came close to winning. Depending on the type, they will also eat your plants.

That was what prompted me into experimenting with CO2. It worked like a charm.

This is the link to Building a CO2 Generator.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had some aquatic pond snails in a tad grow out tank.
The variablis tads in the tank were larger (not teeny tads).
On 2 occasions, I witnessed the tads EATING the snails.
And the tads were well fed.
They grabbed onto the snails when they were fully extended and shook them like puppy dogs.
It was neat to see.:)
Todd

1 - 7 of 7 Posts