Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone kno of any small anole size lizard that either likes water or will tolerate it? I'm building a 56 column paludarium and I want to put 3 or 4 small lizards but everything I read about anoles says they cannot swim at all. Anyone have any ideas for me?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Anolis Vermiculatus are a small semiaquatic anole that is occassionally available but rather expensive. Your other option would be any of a number of semiaquatic skinks found in Se Asia and Indonesia(Trophidorus/Tribolantes?) and the ultimate Semi aquatic Lizard would be the Chinese Croc Lizard(Shinasurus Crocodilurus?)

·
Registered
210 Posts
I do not know much about them but what about a chinese water dragon?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I do not know much about them but what about a chinese water dragon?
Great display animal but the minimal requirements I would recommend for proper housing would be a 4' by 2' by 4' cage and much large if you plan on keeping a pair. Basilisks would also be a nice fit if you care to go toward a cage of that size

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really like the looks of the anolis vermiculatis! Just scoped out kingsnake real quick....nothing. Hahaha. How much is rather expensive? A regular green or brown is like 45 bucks. I wont need em for a little bit so hopefully I can find some when I'm ready.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I really like the looks of the anolis vermiculatis! Just scoped out kingsnake real quick....nothing. Hahaha. How much is rather expensive? A regular green or brown is like 45 bucks. I wont need em for a little bit so hopefully I can find some when I'm ready.
The last time I saw them they were around $500 a pair. The bigger challenge is tracking them down since there are very few of them in US collections

·
Registered
557 Posts

Anolis vermiculatus is way too big for your tank...they are a very large anole and need a big area of water. They are also super shy and you would rarely see it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My suggestion. I use to keep herps before i switched to dart frogs. Chinese water dragons do like water, but they also get to around 3 feet long. If you are looking for a really cool lizard that works well in groups and also can swim really well and will spend a lot of time either on land or on water, i would go with Fire Belly Newts. They are pretty cool, easy to care for and normally pet stores have them and they are only about $5-10 each. I had a bunch of them in one of my big terrariums. Great lizard to keep.

Most other lizards can handle water, but generally wont care to have it. If you are doing half water i would avoid a "general land lizard" because most of them dont swim well and the only ones that generally do are fairly large.

Just my opinion. If you have any other questions hit me up with a pm or ill check in on this again sometime.

Good luck!

Wayne

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Anolis vermiculatus is way too big for your tank...they are a very large anole and need a big area of water. They are also super shy and you would rarely see it.
How big do they get o_O?

I have a Bahaman Anole and Green Anole in the same tank

·
Registered
314 Posts
Holapsis guentheri. Mine used to entirely submerge in their pond. A very underrated species.

Newts aren't lizards the last time I checked. ;) JVK

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
There is also an ad for some Malagasy Water Skinks currently on Kingsnake. This is a very rare and underrated species than I haven't seen offered since the late 90's

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah. A newt isn't quite a lizard. But on the same hand this isn't quite a reptile forum. Lol.

Just tossing out a good species that can go into a tank he is describing. Plus they are cool yk watch.

-Wayne

Pardon the formatting. This is from my Droid.

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Yeah. A newt isn't quite a lizard. But on the same hand this isn't quite a reptile forum. Lol.

Just tossing out a good species that can go into a tank he is describing. Plus they are cool yk watch.

-Wayne

Pardon the formatting. This is from my Droid.
Fire-belly newts (Cynops orientalis) tend to not do very well when kept above 70 F for extended periods of time. They do best at around 65F.

Ed

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Fire-belly newts (Cynops orientalis) tend to not do very well when kept above 70 F for extended periods of time. They do best at around 65F.

Ed
Of the top of my head the only newt that would do okay with temps consistently above 70F would be the Spanish Ribbed Newt and possibly the Kaiser Newt. But both tend to be more aquatic than Semi-Aquatic

·
Registered
19,312 Posts
Cynops ensicauda ssp actually prefer temperatures between 65 F and 82 F. They are the only newt that lives year round in tropical conditions.

Ed

·
Registered
74 Posts
In regards to temperatures, i didnt notice him mentioning anything about temps in his tank. He just asked about a small semi aquatic lizard. Just an observation.

Oh, i definitely respect Ed's thoughts but the when i had the fire belly newts they did fine in room temp. Never had issues with them and they lived to be 16 years old. Just an opinion. Average temps can fluctuate and i have heard of a lot of different species having bigger ranges than normal. Never know.

-Wayne

1 - 20 of 20 Posts