Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps, so a couple week ago I went to a local nursery and snagged up a bunch of terrarium/miniature plants they had. most of them I was able to ID, but I've attached a few that I'm not entirely familiar with (and, more importantly, if they are vivarium safe!).

The following link is a google drive with the pictures - once I've got some ID's on them, I'll rename the pictures to reflect that and I'll continue to add to it as time goes - might help others ID stuff down the road, who knows!

Link - Unidentified folder has the plants I'm looking for IDs on, ID'ed plants will be populated in the other folder as I upload them :) Thanks in advance for any ID's!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Greetings,

Species or varietals will be hard just from images, but here goes:
A. Pilea sp (this one looks alot like a common viv pest/weed - so be careful)
B. Begonia sp
C. Bird's nest fern Asplenium sp - possibly nidus - a common species
D. Pilea sp
F. This may be regular old ivy Hedera sp OR it might be 'cape ivy' Senecio macrogolossus
I. Croton sp

I personally would not use the Croton or the Ivy as a viv plant. The others are a little large-growing for my taste, but they should do well enough in a viv.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I. Looks like an Iresine to me
D_1. Definitely Begonia foliosa
C. Birds Nest Fern - will get huge
B. Begonia richardsiana
A. Pilea microphylla - throw it out, it will take over and every seed it drops germinates and from the pic, it is already dropping seeds everywhere you set it down

·
Registered
946 Posts
On a second look (at full size), I think therizman2 is correct about D and I. Damon is also right about H - Tricolor fern Pteris aspericaulis. E is likely a cutting or seedling of a bush or tree.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts