Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finding little, brown slugs in my springtail culture but I have no clue how the buggers got in there! I was hoping someone could help me rule out possible senarios.

They are in a shoebox cultured with ABG mix and charcoal on top. The culture itself is booming. I have no taken anything from outdoors and placed in my spring culture. Ideas where the slugs came from?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Did you sterilize the ABG mix?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope. I picked up the ABG mix from Josh so it never occured to me to sterlize the media.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Then I'm guessing what you are seeing are larvae for fungus gnats. If you see fliers in a week or three (don't know the life cycle times) then that's probably it. If you keep on top of getting the fliers out, or squishing them, you can eventually clear it out. Might take a while though.
You could also just collect some springs on a white plate. Any accidentally transferred brown larvae will be easy to spot and eliminate that way. Start a new culture on sterile media with those.
Anymore I sterilize all of culturing medias. I boil charcoal, and I wet down peat, coco, and ABG mix and microwave it. I nuke a shoebox (the size in my thread) full of media for about 8 minutes, till it's really hot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts