Dendroboard banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I've been picking them out one at a time for months now but many of my plants are unable to gain mass due to the constant slug damage. Also it is really taking away from my enjoyment of the vivarium.

So picking them out isn't working which means they must be breading. Most of the ones I pick out are very small but once in a while I find a large one. They must be breeding. Evil.

So her are the options I've thought of.

1. Beer, in a very small container with holes just big enough for snails to crawl into.

2. Remove frogs, flood tank. Problem...how long can slug eggs survive under water?

3. Remove frogs, seal tank, fill with CO2. Problem...The egg thing again and possible plant damage if CO2 is kept high long enough to kill eggs.


Any thoughts, would the beer thing be safe without removing the frogs? It sounds safe but best to get a sixteenth opinion before proceeding.


Joe
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey Joe,

I have never had this problem in the past, but I have heard the same thing, use beer. I good friend told me about this and I trust him 100%.
I would try this first.

Sorry I can't be of anymore help,
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i use beer in my garden to kill slugs, it works great. get those disposeable tupperware containers and fill it up halfway and make some holes in it. then sink it into the ground so that the beer is level with the dirt. they will all crawl in and die. dark beer works best.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,229 Posts
How many do you have? When I built my first tank it had some slugs, but my leucs quickly took care of all of them. They were still small, but it was ver cool watching them eat these large slugs.

I would be careful putting large containers of beer in the tank, my guess is it would not be good for the frogs to get in the beer.

joseph said:
OK I've been picking them out one at a time for months now but many of my plants are unable to gain mass due to the constant slug damage. Also it is really taking away from my enjoyment of the vivarium.

So picking them out isn't working which means they must be breading. Most of the ones I pick out are very small but once in a while I find a large one. They must be breeding. Evil.

So her are the options I've thought of.

1. Beer, in a very small container with holes just big enough for snails to crawl into.

2. Remove frogs, flood tank. Problem...how long can slug eggs survive under water?

3. Remove frogs, seal tank, fill with CO2. Problem...The egg thing again and possible plant damage if CO2 is kept high long enough to kill eggs.


Any thoughts, would the beer thing be safe without removing the frogs? It sounds safe but best to get a sixteenth opinion before proceeding.


Joe
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,437 Posts
You gotta love frog people!!

joseph said:
3. Remove frogs, seal tank, fill with CO2. Problem...The egg thing again and possible plant damage if CO2 is kept high long enough to kill eggs.
Joe
Joe,

Personally, I LOVE # 3. Not that I would do it, but only a frog person would think of this.

Once we had some mice issues in our garage. I started the car, walked out and shut the garage door for 30 minutes. Came back, and opened the door and shut the car off. We didn't have a mouse in the garage or house for a very long time.

If you really want to get rid of them, you might try moving your frogs to a temp tank and using the beer method while they are in the temporary one. I think that will be your safest method.

Melis
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kyle1745 said:
I would be careful putting large containers of beer in the tank, my guess is it would not be good for the frogs to get in the beer.
By using the tupperware that has a lid, you can use holes small enough that the slugs crawl in but not the frogs. I have to use the lids because my dog will drink up all the beer if it's open =)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea he likes his beer. he can keep up with me until about 7 or 8 and then he passes out like a lightweight! =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
off the topic yes but i could not resist to say that my dog will knock a beer bottle out of unsuspecting peoples hands so he can lick it up, all bc one of my old roomates decided to let him taste beer...
I hate the taste of beer and am always amzed at how many animals are attracted to it, flies, dogs, slugs when does it end? is it like the skin so soft of the herp world?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,229 Posts
Classic! My dog loves beer too. Don't giver her much any more, but she will jump in your lap and try to lick the bottle while you are holding it.

drunknmunky said:
yea he likes his beer. he can keep up with me until about 7 or 8 and then he passes out like a lightweight! =)
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tkavan01 said:
off the topic yes but i could not resist to say that my dog will knock a beer bottle out of unsuspecting peoples hands so he can lick it up, all bc one of my old roomates decided to let him taste beer...
I hate the taste of beer and am always amzed at how many animals are attracted to it, flies, dogs, slugs when does it end? is it like the skin so soft of the herp world?
babies like it too....hehe :twisted:
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just a note about method number 3:

Not that I'm an expert or anything, but from my plant phys class, it seems like plants wouldn't mind at all if they were flooded with 100% CO2. They love the stuff. They can't seem to get enough of it according to my professor. That's the reason that "rubsico" (ribulose bisphosphate carboxylase/oxygenase - the enzyme used to make sugar from C02) is by far the most abundant enzyme in the biosphere: plants want to use all the CO2 they can. Sure, plants need a little bit of oxygen for ATP synthesis, but they would probably produce more 02 than they'd need even if they were in a CO2 flooded tank.

I can also attest to the asphyxiating effects of CO2 on animals- works wonders on lab rats. I bet that eggs wouldn't last long either.

The only downside that I can see in this method is cleaning up the dead slugs afterwards- if you miss some they might start to rot and that could get ugly if there's a lot of biomass in there... you'd also lose all your animal micro-fauna (eg springtails, decomposers, etc) but you can always re-seed.

just some thoughts from a hopeless biology nerd

~dj
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the votes everyone. I guess beer it is. I'll set it up this weekend and hopefull my jewel orchids and such will begin to come back to life.

Joe
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK the slugs are sucking Guiness. Now, anyone have a cure for the little worms that eat fruit flies?

Joe
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top