Dendroboard banner

SLS Identification (Not my frogs)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul G 
#1 ·
Ok, so I came across these pics today while on Facebook today.
These are two Patricia tincs that look like they have SLS to me....I tried to question the person who bred them to help troubleshoot as I thought it might be the angle of the picture and they are very new to breeding PDFs but instead got my comments deleted and a notification on FB that I had threatened someone.

Just curious for some input from others.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The pictures aren't ideal, but it could be spindly leg.. since the legs do look out of proportion. Different angles are needed for a definite diagosis. If they don't want help, (which is what I would take from the response) why bother coming here and asking? All your going to do is fire up someone who is going to rant about it on FB...

Ed

#5 ·
Maybe the person was aiming to still sell this poor example and considered you a threat toward that success. Were you trying to be helpful? Sure, no doubt. Would I have done the same on FB? Absolutely. We should look to help other hobbiests when we see something may be wrong with a frog, viv, etc. It is a shame people would rather silence opposition, rather than take the advice, and, assuredly, NOT sell that froglet. Good for you for trying to do the right thing.

Is this FB member a member here? The reason I asked, is I would watch out for them selling froglets here, and avoid someone getting a terrible deal on a dying froglet... Thanks for the info!

JBear

#6 ·
Thats what I figured. (selling the frog)
They are a pretty large company with close to 5,000 FB friends and specialize in ball python morphs, Bearded Dragon morphs and most recently they now claim to specialize in dart frogs. (tincs only)

They sent me a message that was really nice not too long ago thanking me for help but they still don't seem convinced there is anything wrong with the frog but they admitted it looks somewhat different than other frogs from the same breeding.

They also claimed that they didn't delete my comments on the pics or report me. They said it must have been someone else on their friends list. That doesn't sound like something someone can do to anothers profile but whatever. ;)

They are not a member of DB to my knowledge.

#7 ·
come on folks, that frog has an obvious issue with its front limbs. even the bones in the digits look horribly deformed. if i got a froglet that looked like that, it would be promptly euthanized.

i think its fair that you said something about SLS, which is the obvious symptom the froglet is showing. i cant believe its actually holding itself up!

james

#8 ·
James,

If you look at the first picture, there appears to also be cranial malformation which has been reported in a few places in the literature early in the documentation of SLS, but if there is malformation we have to consider other potential issues (such as MBD or hypervitaminosis of A). That is why I suggested better pictures are required and that it may not actually be SLS. I was not indicating that there is nothing wrong with the frog. Paul had that correct but the question was whether it was SLS or not.

The curling of the toes could be due to the frog simply having those digits bent under. The toes in dendrobatids are flexible....

Ed

#9 ·
I thought the head looked wrong as well(in the first pic-profile). The only times I had the displeasure of seeing SLS in person, the frog had no means of supporting itself in an upright position. The frog would lay on it's chin/stomach, and is limited to jerky bursts of sloppy dragged hops. It really is no fun to watch a tad you have grown to love morph out and there is nothing you can do to help it other than euthanize it. It sucks. Ed, you may be right that it is not SLS, but I still think Paul did the right thing to point out that the frog was not looking to be in good health.

JBear

#12 ·
They finally admitted that something is wrong with the frog. They said it appeared weaker than the other froglets. They also said this was the first PDF breeding for them ever.

All and all...I guess whatever.
I just don't think I would be proudly displaying the pics and giving people info of when the frogs will be available for sale. (Especially seeing that all the general herp people don't know there is anything wrong with frog pictured.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.