Dendroboard banner

SLS Identification (Not my frogs)

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Paul G 
Maybe the person was aiming to still sell this poor example and considered you a threat toward that success. Were you trying to be helpful? Sure, no doubt. Would I have done the same on FB? Absolutely. We should look to help other hobbiests when we see something may be wrong with a frog, viv, etc. It is a shame people would rather silence opposition, rather than take the advice, and, assuredly, NOT sell that froglet. Good for you for trying to do the right thing.

Is this FB member a member here? The reason I asked, is I would watch out for them selling froglets here, and avoid someone getting a terrible deal on a dying froglet... Thanks for the info!

JBear

James,

If you look at the first picture, there appears to also be cranial malformation which has been reported in a few places in the literature early in the documentation of SLS, but if there is malformation we have to consider other potential issues (such as MBD or hypervitaminosis of A). That is why I suggested better pictures are required and that it may not actually be SLS. I was not indicating that there is nothing wrong with the frog. Paul had that correct but the question was whether it was SLS or not.

The curling of the toes could be due to the frog simply having those digits bent under. The toes in dendrobatids are flexible....

Ed
I thought the head looked wrong as well(in the first pic-profile). The only times I had the displeasure of seeing SLS in person, the frog had no means of supporting itself in an upright position. The frog would lay on it's chin/stomach, and is limited to jerky bursts of sloppy dragged hops. It really is no fun to watch a tad you have grown to love morph out and there is nothing you can do to help it other than euthanize it. It sucks. Ed, you may be right that it is not SLS, but I still think Paul did the right thing to point out that the frog was not looking to be in good health.

JBear

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.