Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new digital SLR and wanted to see what everyone has been using and recommends. I really like the Canon Rebel EOS, but the new Nikon D70 is coming out soon and looks really cool. I have a Nikon N50 (35mm) and a couple AF lenses that could be used on the D70. I have had great luck with Nikons, from their FMs to Ns. The Canon comes with a lense and is the same price as the Nikon body. I'm a little fearful of Canon, since I have an s230 elph and am not very happy with it. Should I be looking at another camera that would be a good choice in this price range? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have used the new canon rebel and think it’s a great camera but in your case I would go with the Nikon since you have all the Nikon lenses to go with it anyway. This way you won't have to purchase all new lenses as well as a camera.
Hope this helps. :)
ADAM

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I'm looking into the 10D, but if you have the Nikon lenses it may be worth the savings. The D70 is very fast.

Check out http://www.dpreview.com

hicksonj said:
I'm in the market for a new digital SLR and wanted to see what everyone has been using and recommends. I really like the Canon Rebel EOS, but the new Nikon D70 is coming out soon and looks really cool. I have a Nikon N50 (35mm) and a couple AF lenses that could be used on the D70. I have had great luck with Nikons, from their FMs to Ns. The Canon comes with a lense and is the same price as the Nikon body. I'm a little fearful of Canon, since I have an s230 elph and am not very happy with it. Should I be looking at another camera that would be a good choice in this price range? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
153 Posts
DSLR

Hi,

I will be getting the D70 as soon as it comes out...number 2 on my local shops list. I have had Nikon from the FM like you, all the way to my current F100...I will stick with Nikon because they have never failed me.

Canon though is ahead of the game with digital and probably will remain so...that said though, the D70 has more features and more current technology than many higher end DLRS's and will be what Canon has to leap over with their next DSLR in that price range.

If you already have Nikon glass I would stick with Nikon...

Tammy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I'm not a Fujifilm fan, but if the S3 Pro and its new dual diode sensor does as well as it claims then it may be worth considering. The problem with taking froggy pictures is that the dynamic range of the subject is usually well beyond that of a CCD and perhaps some CMOS chips. For instance if you want a picture of a frog in a brom axile, you have a choice, either leave the shadows black or blow out your highlights. Fujifilm's new SR sensor has two diodes per pixel, one low with low sensitivity and the other with high sensitivity, if it works you may be able to get highlights and good shadow detail in the same frame.

Anyway with that said I am a huge fan of Canon, but I will wait for the S3 Pro review before I make another purchase.

Joe

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
I am very satisfied with my Canon Digital rebel. In my opinion its the best Money to Quality ratio out right now. The only place I would say to look into either the 20D or the Nikon D70 is if you take Sports or fast movign pictures as both of those are a bit better equiped for it than the rebel. Don't get me wrong the rebel can do it, but it takes a bit more work. Also remeber that a hacked rebel has almost every feature of a 10D.

Jordan, if you are looking for sub $1000 your options are very low, but you can get the rebel kit for under $1000 and a hoya closeup set for $55. Another option is to look on ebay for a used 10D.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best Buy will price match, they told me to bring in a magazine and show them a lower price and they will match. I found a printed price of a Canon 20D in 3 places for under $830. If I had the extra money right now, I would have one. I have also seen the Rebel for under $450 in several ads. I am just worried about buy from those places.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Where the heck did you find those prices?!?! I haven't seen anything even close.

Bgreen said:
Best Buy will price match, they told me to bring in a magazine and show them a lower price and they will match. I found a printed price of a Canon 20D in 3 places for under $830. If I had the extra money right now, I would have one. I have also seen the Rebel for under $450 in several ads. I am just worried about buy from those places.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now the reputation of these places is bad, so I would take the price to BestBuy or any other place that will price match :)

A&M Photo World:
20D - $810 Rebel - $405

Digital Liquidators:
20D - $880 Rebel - $415

J&K Cameras
20D - $800 Rebel - $350

And Royal Camera has a special price on the 20D right now for
$809 shipped, but it is only through another site. Royal

These prices are from the printed ad's in the back of Digital Photo Pro Jan/Feb issue

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Ben,

Did you try that website link? When you click to order the 20d, another product comes up! Plus, they received a lot of negative comments about bait and switch type of tactics!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bgreen said:
Now the reputation of these places is bad, so I would take the price to BestBuy or any other place that will price match :)
That is why I put this statement up first.... :)
I wouldn't buy from any of the places I listed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have had to different stores tell me they would and one guy even got on the internet to sell if I was lying to check prices.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just make sure you read the description on those sites really well. You get carried away by the low prices to find out that the camera may have been refurbished and thats why it is a lower price. And geez damn...I just bought a new camera and if I knew the Rebel was selling for that little I would have jumped on that. Ohh well. So just make sure if the camera is new because then some other stores (best Buy, etc. ) might not give you that going price for their new camera.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Very good points, but the price I listed for the 20D's had "NEW!" printed right in front of the price. :) Makes for a very nice deal. Make sure you take a printed ad in, because on the websites they prices are more! Another reason not to buy from these companies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts