Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was also thinking that maybe I could block off the front with eggcrate instead. I think the neon tetras should be small enough to be able to swim through it if they choose, I could keep the same volume of water for healthier fish, and keep my frogs from drowning. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have personally seen my azureus take a dip in a water feature in their old viv. and they did not seem to care for it much. Mainly fell in. The water was roughly 3-4 inches deep and it was nothing but panic when the boy hit the water lol. Look at it this way, the smaller imitator species have drowned in film canisters. Small body of water, of course... this could be contributed to the lack of traction on wet plastic as well. Just stuff to weigh in. We had guppies in our water feature. It was about 1x2 feet length/width and lets just say 4 inches deep. Not a whole lot of water.. but the guppies thrived and bred once before we tore it down and I gave them away to my girlfriends mom. She now has a 10 gallon tank swarmed with guppy babies. lol. While more water MAY be nicer for the tetra's.. It probably isnt needed. Smaller water area may require more cleaning from time to time but like I said in my last post.. Id rather prevent froggie casualties than worry about a tetra. I love fish, have a 2000 gallon pond in the backyard.. But my frogs own my heart haha

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Also you mentioned covering the front of the egg crate, but still possibly allowing the tetras access.. Couple things to consider.. A) If the tetra's can get back there chances are eventually a frog, froglet, or tadpole will eventually find its way back there.. and B) What if a tetra goes back and cant find its way out? Likely resulting in death and fowling up the water pretty quick I would imagine.

Also, We always try our best to ensure there is no possible way a frog can get to certain areas when creating our vivs.. But given the space they are usually in. I like to imagine what goes on in their heads.. With Azureus its probably just food food food mating food food.. But what if they are tired of looking at the same walls of their vivs day in and day out? lol. I have seen a thread once before where some frogs bred and transported a tad to the water feature and the owner had no clue.. the frog morphed UNDER the eggcrate and the owner had to tear the bottom up to fetch it out without trying to totally destroy his viv. Not a task I personally would like to replicate.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I actually imagined the tadpole thing you just mentioned. And the whole fish dying in there and fouling up the water thing. So I cut down the supports for the bottom so I can build gravel up onto the bottom so that they still have a little pond with the filter I have and they can't get under there. I might not put any fish in cause I'm not sure there will be enough water. Won't know for sure till after I fill it but at least I'll know no one will get stuck. :

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
going to turn out pretty sweet. Didnt want to rain on your parade either! Just wanted to make sure you thought of all the possibilities before you dumped too much time and money into it just to tear it back down. Happens to me more than I care to admit.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Before you commit to doing it one way or the other. Now with the new idea's floating around why dont you take an afternoon/evening off and brainstorm. Maybe take what you wanted prior and what you know now and come up with something else. Don't settle just because you started already. Changes can be made with where you're at right now in the build. Take your time and enjoy it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Started putting up coco fiber on the background. Seems to be a bit of a pain in the ass to stick so I'm gonna buy gorilla glue after work tomorrow and trying that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Gorilla glue worked better than silicone. Just need to figure out the top. Suggestions?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Ordered abg and leaf litter from josh's frogs last night and got the pond up and planted :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking good so far. How are you transitioning from the water to the land? That's the biggest struggle I have with my palu. I went with a hard divider at the end...

Just another idea if you want to keep fish. The water here is about 6" after the 2" of rock on the bottom.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
For now, I've got the gravel built up onto the false bottom. Not too thrilled about that cause then I've got almost no water flow under the bottom. A friend at work suggested that I make a divider out of egg crate and cover it in breeder netting. Should keep anything out from under the bottom.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Plants came in! Korean rock fern, wandering jew bolivian callisia repens, philodendron autumn, black rabbits foot fern davallia trichomanoides, columnea bonfire, pilea microphylla artillery, dieffenbachia starbright and 3 unknown broms.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Female veiltail betta. Bought her cause I felt sorry for her swimming in a tiny little cup. Seems much happier now :D

21 - 40 of 77 Posts