Dendroboard banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, sorry if this is somewhat OT, but I plan on trying to grow african water lilies in my 100 gallon aquarium. I have seen these 400 watt, bronze metal halide floodlights from Home Depot for $200. They appeal to me, as I would think a flowering plant like a lotus would need high intensity lighting. However, how hot would it get? And would it rack up my electric bill? :? Is 400 watts over kill? :shock: Is 175 watts better? :x

Keep in mind, this is obviously not for dart frogs, but I'm planning an african lake aquarium for Xenopus laevis, african clawed frogs.

How about power compact florescents?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Those arent halides, they are halogens. Basically the same as high intensity incandescents. Less than 4000K i believe. Will turn your aquarium into a boiling pot unless raised a few inches (12" is a start) over the tank.

M.N

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

woah, thanks for the warning dude. What can you suggest than I get? I really would like a TRUE halide light for plants, but how do I know?!?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow Since when did home depot carry metal halides.

True MH have ballasts bigger than the fixture itself. If those so called halides do have external ballasts, than i guess im wrong.

M.N

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok??

Now I'm confused. Yes, those were the fixtures I said I saw earlier. First I thought they were halides, now Moe said they aren't, and now Geckguy said they are. Now Moe says they are.

Should I get them or not?!!?

Some are high pressue sodium bulbs. Are those good?

Tonyt said two 75 watt compact florescents are good too. Would metal halides or compact florescents would be better?!?!

Should I just go with Home Depot?

G

·
0 Posts
I would suggest getting a pair of 95 watt compact flourescents. I would think with metal halide you'd be spending quite a bit more on cooling fans.
A good source for CF is http://www.ahsupply.com

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah

yeah, that's what I'm thinking about. I don't know if two will really be necessary. I'll have to see. Do I need a fan for PCF?

G

·
0 Posts
T5's young gwasshoppah, the halide wil lget too hot, do you know the Colour Temperature, its rated in K, you want about 5000K. The T5's on the market now last just as long as MH's, the CRI index is just as stable, and the heat is allmost unoticeable from the bulb, and you can dim them too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Re: yeah

Rain_Frog said:
yeah, that's what I'm thinking about. I don't know if two will really be necessary. I'll have to see. Do I need a fan for PCF?
IF your hood is enclosed, I would install a computer fan to keep the heat from building up. They will put out quite a bit of heat (not compared to MH, though) A good comparison of CF heat would be the heat put out by an incandescent light of equal wattage.
one light or two lights- depends on how bright you need it and how far from the lights you are keeping the lilies. I guess you might try one, and if the lily doesn't bloom- add another :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts