Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on my cube display terrarium concepts for a while that someone could put on a desk or pedestal. I occurred to me recently it would be really cool to have a slanted cube that sat at an angle, rather than one that sat flat on the ground. It would also requires less material for a false bottom, would allow more vertical height, and might even be a better three-dimensional system that could rotate, while holding terrestrial or arboreal frogs.

Here's my glass prototype using a hinge on the front.

I accidentally cracked it last night, so I may end using using this prototype as a desk vivarium at work rather than toss it out. But new builds will be acrylic, with a drop top, and laser cut vents. That's the plan at least.

I'd love to hear any suggestions. These were going to be made for pairs of thumbnails, so I thought 14 gallons would be a nice amount of space. This is a 15" cube. But I'm wondering if a 17" cube would still fit fine on a desk. That would give me a 20 gallon tank, and make it possible for use with larger pairs of frogs.

Jae

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like it!!!

The only problem I would see is placing 2 or 3 on a rack shelf. Lot of wasted spaced between the tanks.
Totally. Just really for display. Not for a breeding rack. I was thinking it might be possible to make it so you could always tip it back to a point for tanks next to each other. But that would make it hard to place vents.

The lights are angel eye headlight LEDs. But I think I'll just put a 14w CFL above so the tank can spin.

Jae

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
The smaller your false bottom the less water can drain before you have a saturated substrate.

I don't know what the floor space would be like in a 17", but the way it looks to me you still wouldn't have the kind of floor space you would want for a large pair.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Its a cool looking precarious tank design for sure. Not sure I agree about the "more usable space" though. Looks like it provides less ground/leaf litter area. It also does not allow for a large background, and it takes away 2 panes of glass that the frogs can climb (unless they do actually climb the inverted sloped glass)

I think it could make a nice 360 tank for a chameleon or something if a branchy tree was placed in the middle though. Then the added height/air space would be utilized fully.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Its a cool looking precarious tank design for sure. Not sure I agree about the "more usable space" though. Looks like it provides less ground/leaf litter area. It also does not allow for a large background, and it takes away 2 panes of glass that the frogs can climb (unless they do actually climb the inverted sloped glass)

I think it could make a nice 360 tank for a chameleon or something if a branchy tree was placed in the middle though. Then the added height/air space would be utilized fully.
Just a quick comment.... only PYGMY chameleons could possibly be housed in there (very awesomely). Most chameleons need very large, screen cages :)

In regards to the usable space issue, a little math can solve that....just find what the area of your side is and set that equal to the area of the "floor" of the angled cube and solve for H to see at what height you get the same floor space....from here you can easily tell if its mroe or less efficient.

The smaller your false bottom the less water can drain before you have a saturated substrate.

I don't know what the floor space would be like in a 17", but the way it looks to me you still wouldn't have the kind of floor space you would want for a large pair.
I agree here, but I think this can be solved quite elegantly...

If you are considering adding a square light hood to the top of it and another to the bottom of it (think of it like a stand), you can actually incorporate the false bottom and pump housing into the "stand" which would lead to easier repairs etc.....and the "inside" of the tank would only need to drain to the stand reservoir (I'm picturing the "stand" as I call it to be a square the size of the angled tank across and like 4-6" tall)

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are considering adding a square light hood to the top of it and another to the bottom of it (think of it like a stand), you can actually incorporate the false bottom and pump housing into the "stand" which would lead to easier repairs etc.....and the "inside" of the tank would only need to drain to the stand reservoir (I'm picturing the "stand" as I call it to be a square the size of the angled tank across and like 4-6" tall)
I'd prefer a light that is separate on the top. Perhaps on a bendable frame so I can place it wherever. But I love the idea of a stocky wooden pedestal for drainage. Now if only it would rotate and drain!

I'm sorry to say I'm not so good with wood as I am with glass or acrylic. But I do appreciate all the suggestions. Maybe I should just make the pedestal in thick black acrylic?

Jae

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I agree here, but I think this can be solved quite elegantly...

That does solve for the drainage issue. I personally prefer simpler methods (none of my tanks have that kind drainage), but for those who put forth the effort it would definitely work. Still, I question keeping a large pair somewhere with such little floor space. I also question an imitator's desire to regularly hang upside down.... The tank looks cool as a concept tank, but I'm just not sure about the practicality of it....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Still a work in progress. I'd love for someone to show me how to best make a nice pedestal where I could set a place for drainage for this tank. I just added two misting heads, so now I need it for sure!

Also added vents, closed off areas where fruit flies could get out, and some internal LED lighting. I'll be adding a fan to the back of the tank tonight.

Jae

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To finish this thread I decided not to add more to the 15" cube. I fixed the crack and left it unvented with no drains. I also put a 27w light from big lots above it and placed it on the spinning pedestal in my kitchen. I'll let it grow in and get back to it after another few months. In the mean time I'm working on a new one with added extras.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'm afraid I have to agree with Jake here. It's a fun idea with no practical application for frogs. You are building for yourself, not for the frogs. In my opinion the hobby should be striving to improve the living conditions of our frogs. There is extremely limited floor space, ruling out tincs and other terrestrials. Thumbs will not be able to utilize the halfway point up very well due to the inward slanting walls.
It also seems to be pretty precarious, obviously not as stable as a good, old fashioned, square or rectangle.

Reactions: jacobi

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
In my opinion the hobby should be striving to improve the living conditions of our frogs.
Improved living conditions would probably be just leaving them alone in the wild and stop people from encroaching on where they live. Not taking them to another continent and sticking them in a glass jar.

I have a ton of requests for a tank that can spin and be viewed from all sides. Obviously you're not one of those people. I'm also, less on the spinning option, and more on vents, misting, and drainage, but that's a different post:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/80902-convertible-air-circulation-system.html

Jae

1 - 20 of 31 Posts