Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have tried feeding this frog like crazy and hes still very very skinny....at what point should I just take him to the vet?

John

Tinctorius
0.0.4 Azureus
0.0.4 Citronella
0.0.2 Yellowback
1.1.0 Powder Blue
O.0.1 Cobalt

Auratus
0.0.4 Costa Rica
O.0.1 Campania

Leucomelas
0.0.2 British Guiana

Attachments

·
Registered
508 Posts
I'll second that ~

He definitely needs to be removed to his own quarantine tank. If you have an exotics vet nearby who can check him out, do so now. Otherwise, he'll waste away until he's finally dead.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea....I'm just going to take him to the vet. He is not lethargic at all...he still chases and eats flies like mad! I'm using Hydei primarily and melanogaster every once in a while...I coat every feeding with 50/50 Repashy vitamin and Repashy calcium with low D

·
Registered
508 Posts
My guess is that he has a parasite that's eating faster than he is. Get him quarantined and get him to the vet if you want to keep this frog.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Stress from aggressive tank mates as well as overbreeding can cause this weight loss as well.
Does he/she have any tank mates?

I use Repashy Calcium Plus and have good results. The Supervite didn't seem to coat the flies as well for me.
The Repashy Calcium Low D I believe is intended for herps that require low to no vitamin D.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Try giving some fly larvae, my Green Sip had Short Tongue Syndrome, he got very skinny very fast, I gave him some dusted fruit flies and some plain fruit fly larvae, now he is back looking like a normal frog!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should also mention that this is one of two males that I purchased at Repticon Orlando about 4 months ago and has been on the thin side since about 1 month after I got him. I was assured that both were captive bred and paid 200 for the pair of males. I traded one with Bill Schwinn for a female powder blue that he had and his also is looking thin like mine...I have tried feeding him small Phoenix worms (dusted with both supps) and he consumes about one out of every 10 he picks up because he kinda "swats" them out of his mouth.....also it has been raining here like mad and I can hear frogs calling outside like crazy but no calls (that I can hear) from him...

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
John, I would not expect him to breed, nor encourage him to bred in his current condition. Just provide supportive care with extra food until you see what the vet says. Also , most tincs when they call can hardly be heard unless your close to the tank. It is a soft buzzing sound, like a ballast from a light would make. If you can get some subteranean termites that would be a great food item for him. Bill

·
Registered
873 Posts
You can collect them in the woods or you can buy them from a couple of vendors on here. They typically run $18-20 for 1,000.

You can also use Phoenix worms, wax worms, and silk worms to beef them up. All the worms might be easier and cheaper to acquire than the termites.
(I would use the wax worms sparingly though as they are really high in fat.)

Damn! Subterranean termites sound delicious !!! Where do I get em? Walk in the woods?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried the Phoenix worms and they seemed to only consume about 1 out of every 10....they would pick them up but then kinda "swat" at them in their mouth...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I tried the Phoenix worms and they seemed to only consume about 1 out of every 10....they would pick them up but then kinda "swat" at them in their mouth...
Phoenix worms are the larvae of black soldier flies and they are very tough-skinned. I watched a wren on the outside kitchen window ledge beat the crap out of one of those worms and it took him several minutes to finally eat it.

The o.p. says that the frog is eating. It sounds like he has a parasite that is keeping him from gaining weight. Eventually, the parasite will kill him, if that's what the problem is.

As far as food alternatives, yes - termites are very yummy and very fattening. But this won't resolve the problem. The traps work nicely as long as you're not in a drought....

I could be a simple case of 'failure to thrive', aka ADR (ain't doin' right).

good luck,
k

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just assumed by their very large toepads and slim/lean shape that they were males...o had also posted pictures several times to get opinion. Also I haven't seen any bullying behavior...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts