Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? Is it worth it to drill and put in a drain, or is it just as easy to siphon water out of a false bottom setup? Also, where is a good place to buy a siphon?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
When you drill, you run the risk of cracking the tank.

I like to keep water in the false bottom so that I can have a water feature where my frogs can leave tads. I just siphon water from the water area using aquarium tubing (the stuff people use for air stones). Since i don't do this regularly, I don't include it in the setup. I just siphon the water (using the suck and gravity method).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That sounds easier than installing a bulkhead, and adding a sump.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
As long as it isn't a large tank you can also us a turkey baster to suck out the water when the levels get too high. :) That's all I do. Works great.

-Shelley

G

·
I incorporate a siphon tube behind the background, 1/2 pvc works fine, it'll work with a false bottom, or if you use an adequate strainer, a soil bottom. just use a wet-vac and you're done.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use a siphon method on mine. I put a piece of pvc that goes through the substrate to the false bottom which has a very well 'carved' rock that sets atop of it. When ever the water needs removed (i have only had to do this once in a year) i just move the rock and put some aquarium tubing down through the pvc pipe and pishon it out.

aj

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts