Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My simple 20H vivarium for a future Rhacodactylus ciliatus. This is my first real vivarium set-up, so definately learning as I go.

Still need a low foreground plant, mayber Ficus pumila or pothos. I will also be getting some springtail cultures, some leaf litter, and several vines for more climbing possibilities. I realize the current plants will eventually outgrow the tank unless I find a good way to prune them.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Good start, I'd move the plants around to make it look less symmetrical... with vivs, less symmetry tends to look better. Also, pothos tends to be a PITA.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looks good! Definitely add the vines or branches as they love to climb. Quick question, do the cork rounds have and screen or foam over them to prevent the gecko from getting back in there? I realize you may actually want them open for a hiding spot but with me I'd just get to paranoid something would go wrong and I couldn't get to it on a quick notice or if I needed to move the gecko I'd have to wait for the gecko to come out. Keep us updated and post pics of the gecko when you get it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll try to figure out something with the plants. They are really almost too big for the tank so it is hard to find spots that have enough grow room. I actually have 2 more Schefflera stalks left over from the pot I bought at Lowe's, but I couldn't find a spot to put them.

the corkbark on the right is actually flat against the tank so the gecko can't get in there. The corkbark on the right is 'sealed' around the edges with spagnum, but the gecko could still get in through the top. I was originally just going to fill it in with more bioballs, but now I wonder if the gecko would appreciate the spot, as it will be the only real dark hide spot in the tank.

The soil is a mix of 6 parts orchid bark, 3 parts coco, and 1-2 parts spagnum moss. The layer is only 2" thick at its highest point, is that enough for the plants? I didn't want to add too much soil as I am quickly running out of vertical room for the gecko.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You will want to cover up the bits of sphagnum, so none is exposed or you will have one heavily impacted Rhac on your hands.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, good point. The gecko will intentionally grab mouthfulls of the stuff? I plan on feeding the crested gecko diet meal replacement powder exclusively.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Update:

What could it be?

Just springtails? Not a gecko? Oh well...

Kinda cool to think that eventually I might see a gecko hanging out here at night.

Lotsa leaves!

*I don't know what is up with the pictures. I didn't adjust anything on them, so I don't know why some are larger than others.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just so you know, the plant in the last picture is poisonous.

This is not a problem for your gecko, but could possibly cause a problem if you are planning on feeding crickets.

I believe I had a gecko die from eating the crickets that had ingested this plant before I knew it was toxic.

I know this plant is a popular tropical plant and people have used it in vivariums. I just wanted to pass on a warning.

Prayer plant is a great plant for lower humidity tanks, it also has large sturdy leaves for geckos and many color patterns.
Chinese Evergreen is also great, so is a Peace Lilly.

I love the naturalistic for cresteds and I am sure yours is going to be very happy in there. Looks great for a first time!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts