Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just recently finished my vivarium for a pair of varaderos that i will be picking on sept 11. I decided to go with a 12x12x18 Zoomed. I also made a decision to travel to NEHERP for supplies. Mike who is the owner of NEHERP(Neherpetoculture.com) help with the supplies. He is an awesome person and has a beautiful store. Second time buying from Mike and first time meeting in person. He also help me with a couple of ideas on building my viv and which plants i should go with. So i decided to do the great stuff and peat method.

I haven't got courage to do the clay method according to what i read in threads. I'm in college and majoring in architecture. I barely have time to go out. So if i went with the clay method, i didn't want to deal with the clay drying and falling off the glass. Don't get me wrong either, there are amazing clay builds. I wish i had to time to fix anything that goes wrong with it.

Thx for looking:D

Give me some feedback, any criticism, opinions, advice will be taken as learning process. I get critics who critique my work for school, so i can handle it, but don't shoot me down either.

I do feel like its too crowded with the plants. Let me hear what you have to say

This is my construction thread:http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/72549-second-viv.html

Once i pick up the Varaderos, ill be posting up picks aswell.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'd do without one of the broms on the left. And you need leaf litter. Nice tank

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd do without one of the broms on the left. And you need leaf litter. Nice tank
I was think that as well, and my leaf litter is still in the bag and im just waiting to boil it :D. Thx

·
Banned
579 Posts
Really nice so far bud. As for plabts and varaderos....never could put too much plants. They make good use of every plant you put in there....maybe some nice leaf littler as it will actually give them a bit more security to run and hide when they make their way down to hunt.....also maybe you can drill a small hole on the cork and mount another mini brom onto it or java moss around it....overall really good start

·
Banned
579 Posts
Also, I forgot to mention, a nice little center piece can be nice sorrounded by leaf litter on open floor....a cool cave like driftwood,ghostwood or mopani.....

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Leaf litter leaf litter leaf litter. But yea, you got some so thats good. That brom on the bottom under the other two is probably going to get shadded out. There really is no such thing as being over planted with Varaderos in my limited experience. Mine use all the plants in my viv in some way shape or form.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the suggestions everyone. I am considering moving the the brom that i being slightly shaded. I still have time to mess around with the tank. As leaf litter i will start asap.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would move the brom on the far left closer to the middle so that its foliage isn't up against the glass. And for smaller tanks I like to use live oak leaves as magnolia sometimes look too big

·
Registered
658 Posts
If you want the cryptanthus to be bright red, it needs to also be in brighter light. I have mine up towards the top and they flourish with color. The tank over-all looks very attractive!!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want the cryptanthus to be bright red, it needs to also be in brighter light. I have mine up towards the top and they flourish with color. The tank over-all looks very attractive!!
Great comment , ill will try moving it on top.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No success. Its too big to be top. I felt like it was too much, so i added to my other vivarium. :D

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just added the leaf litter:D

·
Registered
701 Posts
Put the crypt back in, it looked nice :( But really, I think it looks better with it. Maybe if you used mag leaves it would look better w/o it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does look nice, but it wasnt getting any light on the bottom. It kinda looks better in my other viv hehe

·
Banned
579 Posts
whats that bottom brom under the big one attached to? if its in soil and water doesent drain well...kiss that brom good bye and say hello to one of the worst smells in the hobby,...rotten brom...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
whats that bottom brom under the big one attached to? if its in soil and water doesent drain well...kiss that brom good bye and say hello to one of the worst smells in the hobby,...rotten brom...
What he said. Seriously that smell is so nasty. It isn't bad, until you start removing it.....

·
Registered
701 Posts
It looks like it attached to the background, but almost touching the bottom. How did you attach your broms anyways? Toothpicks?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks like it attached to the background, but almost touching the bottom. How did you attach your broms anyways? Toothpicks?
Well the big ones are in bio degradable flower pots and the bromeliad thats on left is stuck into the GreatStuff since it has a large root.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remove the brom on the bottom. Looks better:D I also added a brom to the cork.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts