Dendroboard banner

81 - 100 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
I actually think I heard some calling from one of mine too. It was quick calling in succession but high pitch. Not sure if it wasn't one of my other frogs sounding funny, though.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Every good thread needs a theme song that helps describe and express the the emotions we all feel towards the subject. For Silverstonei here is my vote...
Divinyls - I Touch Myself -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-34w8kGPM

;)
Hehe, pretty good....

For me the first song that comes to mind is Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede :p

That is totally awesome that you guys are getting calling! Hopefully some eggs will be coming next :D

John

Reactions: thedude

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
That works for me too, but I recently got a friendly reminder not post to many audio/visual aids, so probably should end the theme song portion of this thread ;) (But I approve FroggyKnight :) )

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
So I now have a confirmed trio of ...ALL MALES! Damn anybody end up with no calling, let me know I can hook you up.
Aw man that is a bummer, at least you know they are males though. I can never trust the silent ones... I always suspect they are just screwing with me, trying to make me think they are girls.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mark, how often are yours calling? Mine seem to like early morning or right when the lights go out. I never see all 4 out at the sametime. I see three at most. I did add the stream.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
They chirp in the morning and maybe I heard one later but usually it is early morning not long after the lights are on, I have seen all 3 call at that time. And by calling I mean the practice calls of a young male, a few notes then stopping, nothing like the full blown (and very loud) calling of a mature male to a female.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
My 2 males transported well to NO this last week, so often bigger frogs don't move very well but these guys went off smooth as silk....at least so far (knock knock). I hope this is a sign these may be bit more robust in some aspects of their husbandry. Now fingers crossed my 2 males just met up with 3 girls :)

·
Registered
747 Posts
I am curious, how are you rigging UVB lights into your vivs and allowing UVB transmission? I had found silverstonei in the wild and they were actually exposed on a very sunny day a few hours after a light rain and they were sitting in sun spots shining through the canopy. So that kind of confirms, to me, that providing UVB seems to be the right step.

Josh

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have two sets of venting and one can be covered by solacryl or not depending on how I want humidity (but UVB goes straight through solacryl and loses a bit through fine mesh). The uw amount of UVB in direct sunlight (probably more in montane areas) is quite high. It is higher than most bulbs that I use. Either way, it goes through the screen area but the glass blocks the rest so you get a strip of uvb in the tank. For the big tank I have UVB only over half of it (a 3-4 inch strip of 2 feet of a 4 foot tank).

Silverstoneis seem to like a light side and dark side to the tank. They're shy and like to hide but like to go out in the bright area at times. Giving them different temperature areas is probably good but they also sit directly under the UVB specifically and I've seen this in other frogs. I think most frogs will sit in the direct sun for some period of time per day in the wild.

-Nish

·
Registered
747 Posts
Interesting Nash. I agree that most species probably take advantage of UVB when present. After observing many species in the wild, I wonder how much UVB penetrates the canopy, even in thick, primary forest. I wonder if most frog species are exposed to it even though they may not necesarily want. Regardless, it never huts to have it handly in the viv, especiall if it shows positive results.

I wonder if using some of the waterproof mounts would allow you to mount the UVB lights directly inside of the viv long term without any troubles. May be something to look into. You would have zero worry about limiting UVB output to your frogs. Check these out.

https://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-IC-ECSIN-T8

·
Registered
882 Posts
I know a person who puts their lights 'inside' the vivs and has no issues. He raises many many eggfeeders like that. I don't know if he uses UVB (I'm pretty sure he does). But with the silverstoneis, they tend to jump fairly high and I wouldn't want one hopping into a light somehow if they climbed up a plant or something.

It's really not a problem hanging a light over screen. I can test the amount of UVB they're getting with my solarmeter. It's generally a decent amount (100uw) at the top of the tank and around 5-30uw at the floor depending on what bulb I use. That's a very small amount compared to direct sunlight which can be up near 400-500uw but I think it still does the job without overdoing it. I prefer arcadia UVB bulbs.

-Nish

81 - 100 of 129 Posts