Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have read some super dated posts and some somewhat more recent ones on this species... What are the chances some are still working with them currently?? And, even if I did have deep pockets.. How likely would it be to track some of these down?? I am obsessed with this frog and they are just down right gorgeous. I have read lots of horror stories about moving them but also see that the adults are actually hardy? Seems like opinions changed throughout a couple years. Any insight?

p.s. I am not saying I have deep pockets, and no means trying to be a show off or any of that.. I am just simply curious how likely it would be to snag some..

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
So I have read some super dated posts and some somewhat more recent ones on this species... What are the chances some are still working with them currently?? And, even if I did have deep pockets.. How likely would it be to track some of these down?? I am obsessed with this frog and they are just down right gorgeous. I have read lots of horror stories about moving them but also see that the adults are actually hardy? Seems like opinions changed throughout a couple years. Any insight?

p.s. I am not saying I have deep pockets, and no means trying to be a show off or any of that.. I am just simply curious how likely it would be to snag some..
I think there are still a few living in some collections but don't remember hearing of anyone having breeding success in the last few years. If any success is happening, my guess is the frogs are staying with the breeder to build up a more robust breeding population and/or going to people that are very experienced who they trust with them.

Maybe a few are getting into other peoples hands as trades for rare animals or a lot of money, but I haven't heard anything. I'm not nearly as plugged into with the behind the scenes and/or real life part of the hobby as many are though.

I'd say for most of us though, including myself who has been around for awhile...we are screwed...for now. Unless understory or someone gets a chance to bring more of these in, I hold little hope we'll ever see them established in the hobby through breeding whatever is still currently here and alive :(

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is basically what I was afraid of.. Well guess I get to just try and track me down some red head histo's!!

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Is Sean at Herptalogic, no longer producing them? He still has them listed at $175 ea.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
From what I understand, most of the Silverstonei in the hobby died. They were kept too warm. These frogs need it really cool. (Cooler than Pepperi). This is just what ive been told by people who still breed them. These really only belong in the hands of people who really know what theyre doing & have experience with Ameerega & montane species in general.
In terms of price, dont expect to pay anything less than $1000/pair ... and that's probably on the low end.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Is there any chance through multiple generations of captive breeding (if that is even achievable) that they would become more acclimated and tolerant of the higher temps? I also fell in love with silverstonei and really wish they were better suited for captivity.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Is there any chance through multiple generations of captive breeding (if that is even achievable) that they would become more acclimated and tolerant of the higher temps? I also fell in love with silverstonei and really wish they were better suited for captivity.
I highly doubt that one. If that was the case, we wouldve done it with all darts.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've also read reports that silverstonei were actually more hardy than we were lead to believe.. A year or two ago someone claimed his were in the upper 70's and breeding just fine. From what I gathered the main issues with them were moving them after they became established.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I've also read reports that silverstonei were actually more hardy than we were lead to believe.. A year or two ago someone claimed his were in the upper 70's and breeding just fine. From what I gathered the main issues with them were moving them after they became established.
Brandon -
I find that hard to believe. Especially when the majority of the people I know that have them all say the same thing.
So you would waste that kind of money on something based on what one person says just bc its what you want to hear ... just to kill it?

I know for a fact that youve been advised on this before in private conversations with people & im going to say the same thing to you again ... all due respect but you need more experience before you even remotely consider working with any of the frogs youve mentioned in this post.

Slow your roll & have a little more patience. You'll get there one day.
There are people that have been in this hobby much longer than you or I & they would even be hesitant to own any of these frogs ... theres a reason for that.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Woah. You are quick to assume stuff huh? Who the hell has talked to me in private? And how would you go about assuming my level of experience with frogs? I'm not a professional and don't claim to be.. I'm no idiot either.. I'm not gonna to dump money into frogs I second guess my ability to care for properly.. And also, I wouldn't take one persons word for it.. I was basically bringing it up to see what your thoughts were on it.. Now if you could please get off your high horse and stop bashing people that would be great. I didn't come at you like a jerk so why make assumptions with me? I'm more than willing to give you access to me account so you can see my inbox.. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else..

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Woah. You are quick to assume stuff huh? Who the hell has talked to me in private? And how would you go about assuming my level of experience with frogs? I'm not a professional and don't claim to be.. I'm no idiot either.. I'm not gonna to dump money into frogs I second guess my ability to care for properly.. And also, I wouldn't take one persons word for it.. I was basically bringing it up to see what your thoughts were on it.. Now if you could please get off your high horse and stop bashing people that would be great. I didn't come at you like a jerk so why make assumptions with me? I'm more than willing to give you access to me account so you can see my inbox.. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else..
Not assuming. Nor am I on a high horse ... I have no reason to be.
I meant u no disrespect ... Im giving u my thoughts just like u asked for.
If it came across that way, I apologize.
Tact is not one of my strong points.

I never said you were a professional nor did I call u an idiot.
Or bash you. Seems to me that you're taking things a little more personal than u need to.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Brandon, I remember that post. Do you recall who it was by? Maybe I'll dig around a bit for it.
My early frog guru, Rick White, had a group of them from Sean, like 10 years ago. At least I had the chance to see them in person. Beautiful frogs.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
I'm on my phone at the moment, so digging up old posts and linking them is tough...do some searches for posts by Mark Pulawski and EricM. I think I remember both saying normal frog temps were no issue with these. Apparently, they did fine until they were moved. There may have even been secondhand info from Mark Pepper as well.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
I'm on my phone at the moment, so digging up old posts and linking them is tough...do some searches for posts by Mark Pulawski and EricM. I think I remember both saying normal frog temps were no issue with these. Apparently, they did fine until they were moved. There may have even been secondhand info from Mark Pepper as well.
I've heard LOTS of plant cover & leaf litter helps too with them.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Reactions: Gamble

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Thanks Spaff. That led me right to the exact posts I was looking for. I got $10 down on this being the exact thread that Brandon is referring to. Julio and Mark Pulawski are discussing it.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...ience-ameerega-silverstonei-2.html#post354058

(Sorry Nick...Brandon did the post he claimed to, and I'd say it's from reputable sources.)
Glad you found it. Ill read it.
All my info comes from European breeders.

Sorry Brandon ;)
My apologies.

·
Super Moderator
2,351 Posts
That's the one I was talking about. There's another I remember from EricM that had good information too. I remember him mentioning that he could hear them calling from down the block.

Thanks Spaff. That led me right to the exact posts I was looking for. I got $10 down on this being the exact thread that Brandon is referring to. Julio and Mark Pulawski are discussing it.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/be...ience-ameerega-silverstonei-2.html#post354058

(Sorry Nick...Brandon did the post he claimed to, and I'd say it's from reputable sources.)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That e it Doug! I did do what reading I could before I posted this thread.. I didn't come in to this blind. And nick thanks.. Atleast you are big enough to apologize. And spaff.. Down the block?! That is insane lol.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts