Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am building my first vivarium. I am going to house 3 Azureus in a custom 3' x 2' x 3' .......... A local nursery says they have Silvercup Brom's avail. This is what i found on the net ---- Aechmea fasciata - Silver Vase Bromeliad - Bromeliaceae ----- I believe this is what they meen ?
Will these be a SAFE and WELL PICKED choice for my vivarium ?

Thanks in advance - Justin

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
Not really. They get huge and typically like drier conditions. You should look to our site sponsors for nice bromeliads. If they don't have anything you like, try Tropiflora or Michaels Bromeliads.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great Thanks ---- You saved me 26$ --- There are some great sponsors on here, I'm from Canada so i'm having some difficulty with finding a good local supplier ( within Alberta or Canada )
Also i'm not sure if shipping from US to Canda for live animals and plants is even legal ?

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you are unsure which bromeliads to go, just choose neoregelia. I wanted to experiment with some Achemea and Guzmania in my vivs but they were WAY too big. They make nice potted plants though!!

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Aechmea recurvata is a great small species that does really well. Also A. nudicaulis is awesome, but only appropriate for bigger vivs, as they can be tall.

·
Registered
430 Posts
www.hawaiianbotanicals.com is one if not the only place in canada to order broms
i have had a hard time communicating and dealing with these guys and the prices aren't cheap but the plants were well packed (xept my carn) and got to my place in one piece

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Aechmea recurvata is a great small species that does really well. Also A. nudicaulis is awesome, but only appropriate for bigger vivs, as they can be tall.
I was very surprised a few days ago when I tipped over my Aechmea recurvata and it seemed like a gallon of water poured out. It holds a lot of water... Of course it is razor sharp, too. Some clones of nudicaulis are smaller than others, I have one that isn't more than 8".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts